Why has the global shipping service stopped letting americans post to the UK?

I've tried to buy 2 things from the US recently and both times I've been told, "sorry, we post everywhere else in Europe, but not to the UK, it's becuase the global shipping service doesn't send there"

And yes, as someone in the UK, my global shipping program sends to the US...

Is this a bug, or?

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I believe its in relation to the UKCA mark which was to be used after Brexit, since then the CE mark has been extended indefinitely for most items and can be used for imports to UK.EIS(eBay International Shipping) hasn't been updated.

USPS will still deliver items with the CE mark but seller would have to add this to their listing.

"Items that are shipped to buyers in the UK need to comply with all applicable UK laws and regulations. We have put measures in place to prevent US items that may not comply with UK regulations, such as CE Certification and/or Plugs and Sockets Regulations, from being sold to buyers in the UK."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

plum993
Experienced Mentor

This issue has been reported for years and ebay don't see an issue with it!!!

The best you can do is try to buy on the actual ebay.com site 

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

It is possible that it is because sellers in the US ship to Europe or the EU. As we are not in the EU then they do not ship to the UK.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

It may also be down to the item you are trying to purchase. Rules and regulations are taken somewhat literally at times by eBay at isp. But things must of a certain standard for compliance especially labelling on things like food stuffs, health items etc

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

it was just 2 star wars figures!!  Hardly breaking any export control laws I think 🙂

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

I would say "may the force be with you".... But obviously Ebay's isn't!!!

Would the seller send direct eg not via the ISP/GSP scheme? - You could ask. They would probably need to set up a new listing with the postage charge to the UK, which I wouldn't think will be much for a couple of figures.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

so is there any way to escalate this to ebay to get an official answer? 

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I believe its in relation to the UKCA mark which was to be used after Brexit, since then the CE mark has been extended indefinitely for most items and can be used for imports to UK.EIS(eBay International Shipping) hasn't been updated.

USPS will still deliver items with the CE mark but seller would have to add this to their listing.

"Items that are shipped to buyers in the UK need to comply with all applicable UK laws and regulations. We have put measures in place to prevent US items that may not comply with UK regulations, such as CE Certification and/or Plugs and Sockets Regulations, from being sold to buyers in the UK."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent