Royal mail have destroyed the item I sold and posted via ebay.

Hi, So I have sold used power tool battery on ebay and purchased the postage via ebay (royal mail tracked 24) and Royal mail have destroyed my item and sent me a letter stating its on the dangerous goods list. This has now cost my £44! I wasn't aware I couldn't post batteries. I also didn't have any warnings from ebay or Royal mail regarding this with selling and purchasing the postage online via ebay. Has anyone else had a problem like this and can I ask ebay to cover my loss as I feel I've done nothing wrong here. Thanks in advance. Regards, A

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

plum993
Experienced Mentor

I'm afraid ebay won't help you as sellers are expected to read the terms and conditions related to the postal services they use,and Royal Mail do not accept Batteries through the post.

Best look at the prohibited list of items.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

I wasn't aware I couldn't post batteries.

I'm sorry, but it was your responsibility to read Royal Mail's easly found conditions. If you don't, you have no-one to blame but yourself if dangerous goods are removed from the post and destroyed.

You can ask eBay whether they will cover your loss, but I think we all know the answer you will receive!

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Batteries only cannot be sent by Royal Mail in UK  only with original equipment and the sender must comply with strict packaging and labelling,failure to comply can result in parcels being destroyed with no compensation as you have found.

I am surprised you were not asked at the PO what you were sending

Restricted and Prohibited items for RM can be found here:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-and-restricted-items---a...

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent