Return declared by customer as not working - was fully working when returned

Hello all,

Hoping for alittle bit of advice if possible?

Had a return request on a vintage wall clock, reason arrived not working. Now the clock was fully tested and was working perfectly when packed & dispatched. Two days after delivery the buyer raised a return request with no prior contact. Was a little baffled but advised buyer to carry out 2 simple observations, one was to to check the positive & negative contacts were connecting battery properly and also to confirm neither of the hands had become bent during transit (should not be possible as clock had a class hinged door cover). Neither suggested observation was taken up or confirmed and due to little or no response from customer I agreed return. Clock was returned and checked and it was found the minute hand had moved slightly impeding the second hand. Slight adjustment and retest confirmed clock ran perfectly as before. I cannot see any way that the minute hand got slightly bent without manual intervention, the cover and over soec packing should have ensured this.

So question is, should I refund postage along with the item refund?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Message 1 of 2
See Most Recent
1 REPLY 1

Return declared by customer as not working - was fully working when returned

What I suggest as you have received the item back not in the same condition as sent out is to contact eBay Customer Services and explain your findings.

Unfortunately with a weekend coming next I'm not sure if Dublin will answer first thing when the lines open at 9 a.m. on weekends and they do usually at 8 a.m. lines opening on weekdays,  it's preferable to speak with Dublin as you do have a case for not fully refunding the buyer.

Contact them they may allow a partial refund to go through or advise for a full refund,  which is the norm to be made.

It's a difficult one.  Returns stipulate the item has to be returned in the same condition as sent out for a full refund.    Refund in full straight away , we've recently been advised,  this shows you Agree to a refund. 

Proving intentional damage may be diffcult and as you have a short window to refund,  the buyer can escalate after 48 hours after you received your item you have to act fast.

Message 2 of 2
See Most Recent