Ebay Fees and VAT

OK, this might turn into a slight rant but I just want to check that I understand the VAT charges to business sellers correctly:

I'm a relatively new Ebay business seller and I've taken a look at my final value fees for items sold in August and they looked higher than usual so I contacted Ebay Customer Services who explained that VAT is now being charged to all business sellers at the standard UK rate of 20% for final value fees. ( I retrospectively found a message from Ebay relating to this from May this year after the on-line chat)

So this means that instead of the 9% FVFs that I normally pay, I'm now paying an average of around 11% as VAT is loaded on top? Is this right?

So as a business seller, unless you're VAT registered, you're going to pay higher fees than a private seller on top of the monthly subscription which private sellers don't have to pay??

If this is the case, I don't understand the value of registering as a business seller apart from a few additional tools as I'm probably going to be paying around £150 more a month in fees based on my turnover compared to a private seller who also get several free listing and final value fee discount offers that business sellers don't get!

Does anyone else feel the same way or have I completely misinterpreted the situation?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

You would probably be better off posting on the business seller discussion board, there are no doubt other threads on this topic as a number of sellers are not happy/confused about it.

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/bd-p/21900001545

As far as your comment 'So as a business seller, unless you're VAT registered, you're going to pay higher fees than a private seller on top of the monthly subscription which private sellers don't have to pay??' is concerned.  You pay a monthly subscription because you have a shop.  A private seller can open a shop and would also be charged a monthly subscription fee.

'I don't understand the value of registering as a business seller'

You're selling items you have bought with the specfic intention of selling so you have to be registered as a business seller, you don't have a choice in that.

Answers (0)

Ask a question