Buyers incorrectly returning items 'not as described' just because they don't like them

1) A new buyer (less than 30 feedback) bought a pair of Vintage diamond earrings from me.

Less than 5 minutes after they paid, they started sending me a string of questions about my description.  (questions they should have asked before bidding)

I explained that many vintage / antique jewellery items are not hallmarked and that I re-sell from reputable live auction houses, relying largely on their proffessional descriptions.

They didn't like the fact the backs were not gold, but it was clearly stated in the listing that they weren't.  A lot of vintage jewellery uses copper, brass etc for settings etc or doesn't plate over the metal as modern jewellery does.

~ As anticipated after they received the item, they sent me a string of emails claiming not only were they not gold, but they weren't diamonds either because they'd taken them to a high street jeweller who had 'tested each diamond' .  

~ I offered them a refund as per my 14 days no quibbles returns policy and said I would be interested in reading their high street jewellers report or what this machine was, as i had (and still have no reason to suspect the auction house mis-represented the item)    My buyer refused to produce any report and then demanded I refund her postage on the return as well.

~ I refunded my buyer the full cost of the listing , but refused to refund him the cost of his own return postage ~ because I feel they returned the items just because they didn't like them (because they didn't have gold backs)  and NOT because they were incorrectly desribed.   I also queried the sale with the auction house I bought from and they have confirmed the earrings ARE diamonds.

2) A similar thing happened with a diamond cluster ring I sold.  It was a real diamond ring, but admittedly not the highest quality, set in 9ct gold and hallmarked for 1921, but this was reflected in the low listing price.....

~ A buyer asked me ''is the ring suitable for an engagement ring?''   so I replied that was a subjective question, a matter of personal choice and taste...that it was suitable for customers on a limited budget that did not want to spend £££ on high grade diamonds.....   

~  Same thing as the earrings, they bought the ring but then contacted me to return stating they are not 3 carats, so not as described.   Again, they are simply returning it because they don't like it, not because I have desribed it incorrectly.

~ I noticed they have left another seller neutral feedback, stating seller refunded them because they weren't happy with the quality of a cheap lamp they bought for £20 !  so Im anticipating neutral or bad feedback from them too.....

~~~~  My questions are these:  

1)  How do I stop bidders with less than 50 feedback buying my BIN  items ?

2) How do I stop bidders buying or bidding on my items if they have left other sellers neutral / negative feedback ?

~~ Im sick of buyers that seem to want the crown jewels for 50 pence!, but then claim something is 'not as described just because they don't get the crown jewels!'     Especially as they cannot provide any evidence that my diamonds are not diamonds, for all I know the buyer could have asked his local butcher for their opinion ?   

~~ I do not think it fair or reasonable that sellers can leave neutral / negative feedback which can damage an honest sellers reputation and prevent items being re-listed , just because they bid on something they don't really want , either because they didn't read the description properly, or because they can falsely claim an item is not as described.

I do not want to sell my items to rookie buyers with less than 50 feedback because they hit that Buy button too easily and end up costing sellers TIME and MONEY

3)  If I cancel a sale and refund the buyer and the buyer accepts the refund,  it looks like he can still leave me **bleep**py feedback?   Surely this is not fair if we have a no quibbles 14 day refund policy in place, and prompty refund him after he's returned his unwanted item ???  

4)  How do I reclaim the postage cost I am now out of pocket for ?   I listed the ring as FREE Postage and sent it by Special Delivery.  (I won't make that mistake again!!)  But if i deduct the cost of that from the refund,  it surely increases the chance of my buyer leaving **bleep**py feedback or claiming not as described.

5) Why should I pick up the cost of the postage, just because a buyer is trigger happy on the buy button ?

6) Why are we being charged 10% Final value fee on postage fees ????????????  How else am i supposed to send my items?  by carrier pigeon ?????   This is almost like leving a postal tax......  Im not sure if the UK Government isn't doing it, how it can be legal a private company can do it ?    Postage costs are something we cant avoid!  Unfair.

I feel strongly that honest sellers are being held to ransom both on postage cost, and by threats of negative feedback as if we're here just to screw customers over or lie to them when we're not !!

Thanks for help / advice.   I've only recently returned to seling on eBay after a few years doing something else......although some things seem to have changed for the better, less than 2 months in and I can see some things have not !

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)

Ask a question