Buyer wanting to return an item

Hi all,

This is the first time I've run into an issue - so I'm just looking for some advice.

I sold a router around 21 days ago. I'd tested it here, all was working well etc.

Buyer took delivery (confirmed by courier) but messaged me today, at 8:45am telling me he was unable to log into the router. I picked this email up on my mobile at around midday.

My intention was to message him back. As it's an ASUS router the procedure for factory restting it is to hold down the reset button for 6 seconds - that is all and then the default username & password would be accepted.

Unfortunately I was away from a method or replying to the message until this evening. I then noticed that less than one hour after he'd sent me this email a "return an item" request had been raised with a "item is faulty" as the reason.

Now I've always set returns to "I don't accept returns" on all my sales - I'm a personal seller, I'm not a business.

So far I've sent a message to the buyer - the one I was going to send earlier, detailing how in 20 seconds he can switch the router on, wait for all the blue lights to appear and then hold the reset button for 6 seconds and allow the router to reboot whereupon it will have factory default usernames & passwords and will work 100% as it did when I sent it.

Where exactly do I stand on all this?

I see that I've had my money stolen back from my Paypal account (so much for Ebay and PayPal being separate companies now) and the only information I see is that I'll ahve to refund all the money given to me and I'm going to have to pay the return postage - I've really got no intention of doing either.

So, now this "returns request" has been raised, and I've sent a message to the buyer can they now cancel this request if they bother to read my response and do what I've suggested? Or has this request now gone into the system and I'm expected to just refund everything?

If I personally don't click on the "issue refund" option what happens? Ebay appear to have my money anyway. If I'm forced to refund how can I ensure I get the items back first?

How does the "I don't accept refunds" work? How can I put my side of the story voer to Ebay? Am I (for the very first time) going to be that victim as an Ebay seller I hear about all the time?

Ta

*Edit*

Why can't I reply to comments listed here? Or reply to my original post? Sorry - it really is my first time using this forum. What I wanted to say to the response below is:

"So basically if somebody has no returns on an item - just raise a reeturns saying it's faulty anyway and Ebay will just believe the buyer?"

Also - what if I don't recieve the goods back?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tobiasd4
Experienced Mentor

Paypal have NOT stolen your money,

when buyer opens case, paypal put HOLD on disputed funds.

Try asking buyer to do as you suggested, but if they want to return for full refund, ebay will let them,

so if fix doesn't work, best to reply "I will refund on return"

saying no returns only applies to buyer change of mind.

Ask a question