Account Verification

So today after 19 years of trading as both a seller and buyer on eBay, I have been asked for proof that I am who I say I am and eBay are withholding my funds until I provide either A) A copy of my passport, B) Driving licence or C) ID card.

The problem is that I do not have any of these documents, so I phoned up and had the expected circular discussion with the rep and her manager.

Apparently, they *may* be able to accept a utility bill (which I offered), but only if it is conjunction with my birth certificate. Another issue, as I do not have that either, and I'm quite sure that even if I did, they wouldn't accept it because it doesn't have my photo on it as I was born before the age of the internet.

As they would not budge, I offered to close my account after they've paid me my money, which they won't do and informed me that I cannot even close my account until I verify it.

Apparently all of this is to prove I'm not a fraudster or a terrorist (the manager's words, not mine).

I don't know what to do. I don't want to go buy a new copy of my birth certificate that isn't even sure to be accepted.

I have 5 sales on my account, some of which I have not been paid for due to this issue, but I need to send them out soon.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Account Verification

You're going to need photo ID for voting so why not get one now:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Account Verification

"You cannot use it as proof of identification for any other reason." (other than voting) from the link you provided.

Aside from that, there's a whole list of reasons why I shouldn't have to do that.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent