What do you think..

www.irishcentral.com/news/Religious-orders-allowed-over-2000-Irish-children-to-be-used-in-medical-ex...

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

What do you think..

Thousands of children in Irish care homes at centre of 'baby graves scandal' were used in secret vaccine trials in the 1930s

• Scientists secretly gave 2,051 children and babies diphtheria vaccine
  • They were used as guinea pigs for drugs giant Burroughs Wellcome in 1930s
  • Academic Michael Dwyer uncovered shock truth in old medical records
  • He found no evidence of consent, nor of how many died or were affected
  • Comes as Irish PM intervenes from U.S. over scandal of mass baby grave
  • Hundreds of babies are believed to have been buried at former baby home
  • Enda Kenny says he's ordered his officials to examine 'if there are others'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2650475/More-mass-baby-graves-Ireland-Prime-Minister-Enda-Ke... 

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

55 lookers and no one wants to post..706.jpg

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

I'll answer you Tommy! Perhaps everyone else is in shock, I think this is one of the most horrific things I've read about in a long time
& for it to have been carried out by people who profess to be a caring religious order is even more obscene , innocent babies & children to be treated in this manner & their Mothers also treated as though they were of no account beggers belief I hope the Irish people get an apology for this treatment of their fellow countrymen/ women & children,

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

I think the article is a little sensationalist, when it comes to the question of consent were not those in charge of the home in locum parentis and when it comes to deaths or serious side effects, is there much liklihood there were any, diptheria vaccine was first successfully used in the US in 1894 so the experimental vaccine used in the 1930s is not likely to be that experimental.

However having said that it would certainly appear to be unethical and the general appalling treatmant of the children is more evidence that morals do not come from a belief in God.

What do you think..

Don't forget Saasher that the children had committed two mortal sins.

There was original sin and the sin of being born out of wedlock so they were not worthy to be treated in any other way.

What do you think..

God Help us all then!

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

The same as the mothers that were taken to the homes. Young girls, probably already terrified at being pregnant,  (often by **bleep** anyway)  were sent to these homes where they were worked like slaves until the baby was born, and then after a few weeks the baby was given to adoptive families, whether the mother wanted it to be or not.  

We scorn at some other religions that seem to treat their own daughters as possesions, but ones closer to home are often no better. 

Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

Are we not allowed to say ra-----pe now?  Whoops sorry, slap my legs!!  

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

I think there is a lot more to come out from this.  In those days it was a Mortal Sin to do a lot of things before being married and being pregnant was frowned on greatly by everyone. Most young girls were, as you said, sent away so as not to bring shame on the family. (the same as in other country's and religions.) Or were sent to be 'taken care' of by the Nuns who were also not always as they should have been.  At that time Ireland was a more deeply religious ountry and  committing a sin was not an option for most.  It just so sad, these children didn't ask to be born or to have an outcome like this to happen.I know of lots of stories from my family about how they were treated, sent to the work house or to the Nuns only to never to be seen again. I really don't think this was unknown before this report either, it was just not talked about.  Maybe I am wrong but  will we ever really know the full story who knows. 

I would however, say that although still a very religious country they have much more feedom today Thank God. and in general the Irish people are lovely warm and friendly.

Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Unmarried-mothers-kids-in-Tuam-were-scorned-and-shunned-....

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

Exactly my point, Nuns, Priests, etc some were good and some were not. I come from an Irish family and have sat for hours and hours listening to the tales of hardship, cruelty etc from the elders in the family.  I can recall my Mother telling me of a girl in her school who got 'in the family way' as she put it by means of being assaulted by someone (if you get my meaning) at the age of 15 and she disappeared overnight, she never saw her again and the family never mentioned her name again. Not her brothers or sisters or anyone.. So So sad, Ireland is a beautiful country.

Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

Actually, I remember being given a book by a family member, it was a true story written by a lady who had been through hell during her younger years, it took her donkeys years to put pen to paper.  She had friends disappear and was grossly mistreated but somehow survived. Harrowing read, But it helped in one way to understand just how hard some peoples lifes were and how they escaped from things just like this.  Can't rememer the name now but it really gave an insight into just how things were in those days.

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

I can't find that book now, but I did read a book called The Light in the Window byJune Goulding who worked as a midwife in the 50's at the  now infamous Bessborough home in Co. Cork a real insight into how these pregnant girls were treated.Made to clean floors on their knees with little more than a toothbrush and no painkillers during the birth the reason for that, so they would repent for their sins!!. Terrible but an interesting read, if you want to know more. 

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

God forgive them.  I can no longer read these books, although I did when I was younger, whether self penned or otherwise, on what they did in Ireland.  It breaks my heart.  The latest being Philomena, which was a successful film.

People of God,

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

I know they are diffcult to read, but for me because I was told so much growing up that I used to think, really , so reading the stories from those within as it were, just made me understand more. I agree there are some who dare call themselves Gods people which is truely insulting to those good people who have the right to say they are Gods people. Its just so so awful. I suppose as we know there are good and bad in all walks of life including those whom you would think you were safe with,

Yes I have read that book and seen the film, I needed a box of tissues.

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

The nuns get their morallity from the Bible, a book whose main subject is probably the most evilly immoral character that has ever featured in any work of fiction so it's not surprising they act in the way they do.

The only difference these days is that either they no longer really believe or they know they can't get away with it.

What do you think..

don't start me on those nuns and priests in charge of children.....

I may not be able to stop

Photobucket

Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

How people in charge of children could be so cruel just beggars belief.  I hope that the so-called religious do gooders rot in hell because that's the best place for them.

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

What do you think..

I think you might be referring to Philomena Lee, harrydog.

It was made into a film which I saw last year called 'Philomena' - well worth seeing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2451155/Philomena-Lee-To-think-nuns-told-son-searching-m...

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanual Kant
Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent