Rome

Anyone been to Rome? My daughter and I are planning on going in the summer. Would welcome advise on 'safe' areas to stay/hotel reccommendations and how easy is it to get from the airport to hotels? Thanks

still sig
Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Rome

I have been through Rome, although not to Rome as such, so I can't advise on hotels and areas but I can say that we used a pre-booked car ( not a taxi ) for our transfer from the docks at Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport and there were no problems at all with it; the car was waiting when we got off the ship and the driving was to a very high professional standard.

In our case the car was arranged by the purser on the ship a couple of days out once they knew exactly which berth we would be docking at, but there is absolutely no reason why such a car could not be arranged by any competent travel agent.  It'll be more expensive than a taxi, but far more reliable.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Rome

We have been to Rome many times and find that it is very much like London for crime, pickpockets, congestion, etc.

It is also one of the most expensive cities in the world.

The best prices for hotels on various booking sites do not take into account flights and transfers.

By the time you have added together the cost of the hotel, flights and transfers we have found it cheaper (and easier) to book through a travel agent as a city break.

You get your flights, transfers and hotel together for one price and the hotels they use tend to be in the better areas and are more secure than the cheap ones.

Carry only what you need and keep all valuables in pockets with zips/fasteners.

Do not use a backpack and, if you must carry a handbag, make it a small one and keep it over your stomach.

Also, do not forget to carry your passport with you at all times or another form of photographic ID. It is the law.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Rome

Thank you both for your replies, they have been very helpful Smiley Happy

still sig
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Rome

Thanks for the advice on this thread, we went to Rome in August and had a really great time

still sig
Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Rome

Glad you enjoyed it

Great for gelato.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent