Doggy advice from you nice helpful peeps please!

Hoping one of you knowledgeable folk will be able to help me!

I've got a 6 month old Jack Russell puppy who has finished teething, but I can't stop him from chewing things (his lead, furniture, me).

Took him out yesterday to play ball, but he spent more time gnawing on his training lead than playing.

Any ideas on how to stop him would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance Woman Happy

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

make whatever he is playing with more interesting than whatever he is trying to chew

is there anything they dont like the taste of but isnt harmful  you can spray/paste onto whatever he bites

a  NO! Stop

you should have started to train him  not to bite f furniture and you by now

have you puppy training classes in the area

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Hi Towery, thanks for your reply.

He does sometimes respond to NO!, but only when he wants to it seems.  Other times he just gets worse Woman Sad

Our vet was going to start up puppy training, but at the moment there is nothing around.

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Ian Dunbar originated puppy classes and speaks a lot of sense imo 🙂

If you search online, you'll find he has two free documents about before and after you get your puppy which should give you some guidance 🙂

I've always found puppies go through another stage of chewing after they've teethed, so lots of chew toys and training is the way to get through it.

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Plenty of chew toys might help

Try the ones made of hide, as they smell better than the furniture

But get the ones shaped like bones etc and not the ones shaped like boots and shoes or he will think its ok to chew your shoes.

Distraction is the way, if he chewing the furniture, take or call him away from it and point him at his chew toy.

I think that this is common with Jack Russells.

A friend of mine has one and she has lost count of the number of leads he has chewed through and he will pop a tennis ball within minutes and shred it within an hour

He has even chewed through the seat belts in the car.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Haha, glad it's not just me! Woman Happy

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

Thanks for the advice Borzoi, I've just looked online and his info is great.

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

Thank you for your help, I've printed off some info for me & the OH to read, the download suggested by Borzoi was really good.

Hopefully we'll get somewhere with him!

(the dog, not the OH).

Woman Happy

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

Glad you found Ian Dunbar helpful 🙂

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

no i remember why my family always had  a chain leash for the jack russells  lol,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

Weren't Jack Russells bred to hunt foxes?

That seems to be what the dogs essentially want - a proper live fox, to hunt, catch, gnaw and chew.  Of course in today's modern times, provision of an actual fox may be problematic.  But if they can't get a real fox, can't the Russells  be provided with some kind of substitute?

Such as a stuffed fox, with fox-exuding pheromones inserted. This they could maul about, and make them happy, without biting the furniture.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

They were taken out with greyhounds to catch rabbits. The terrier went down the hole & flushed out the rabbits & the greyhound chased & caught them.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

Thanks for your reply ilove, but are you sure about that, as it sounds contrary to Jack Russell theory.  But all theories can be supplanted by newer information, if valid.

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Puppies need lots of play, exercise and instruction .. And are puppies until about 18months... Jack Russell's are very wilful, and can turn into brilliant dogs.. With attitude!
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

Its not just Jack Russells that chew all dogs will if bored or distressed. They need to be kept occupied and to feel secure.
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent