Bee swarm

Yesterday afternoon, I was looking out of the window and the air was full of honey bees must have been thousands of them buzzing around, up the road, down the road and then across the road and down the lane, what an amazing sight. When talking to my workmate who keeps bees this morning he said half of his hive swarmed yesterday too and that he had to get his bee keeping kit on and collect them up. He put them in a new hive and then went back indoors to get changed and take the dogs for a walk, when he came back from his walk the bees had gone, so now he is waiting for a phone call to say that someone has found them.

I am a country girl and have never seen this before and nor had my OH who is also from the country. What are the chances of my workmate being involved in a swarm and us seeing one as well both on the same day but 30 miles apart.

Apparently it has something to do with there being 2 queens and one leaving, because there can't be two in one hive.

Fascinating subject I think.

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

Bee swarm

WOW! Lucky lady to have seen such an amazing sight !.

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

How interesting. I have never seen that either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

We had a swarm turn up once, must be 10 or 15 years ago now.  They were in a small flowering cherry tree in the back garden.  Hubby rang a local bee keeper who came round, put all his white suit and hat on and took them away in a blanket. 

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

there was a series just finished on bbc4 all about bees Martha kearney did it

we really enjoyed watching

ive seen a couple of swarms, one was at a car boot,  they flew about 6ft above the ground

i hope your friend gets his back

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

I have sent him a text , but he hasn't answered yet, must still be out looking.

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

I love bees, they are fascinating.

I hope he gets his swarm back soon.

They are such an interesting little flying bundle!!

Photobucket

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

I like bees as well but I don't like wasps.

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

I love bees especially bumble bees, & you would quite like wasps if you ever got stung by a Hornet!

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

Ohhh thats amazing,,never seen that before!!.Woman Happy

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

They mentioned about it on the news last night!!!!!!!!!!!. They said you could find out online or something where it had gone next!!. Oerrrrrr bit scary...Smiley Indifferent

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

Oh yes I forgot to say yesterday, on Friday morning they came back to his neighbours garden and he retrieved them again, when I texted him this morning he said they were still there, which is great news for him and he will have more honey now when they get settled.  Did you see the swarm on Top Shops window in London, wow.

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

Were they after a BUZZY BARGAIN!!!!... in a BuZY High Street??.Woman LOL

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

Bee swarm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-27455561

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent