Why does seller have my telephone number?

I've just been shocked to receive a telephone call from a seller regarding an order I just made. This has never happened before. I've been on ebay for donkey's years and had no idea that a seller could get your telephone number from an order - is this something that happens routinely and how do I stop it? I can't say I've ever noticed a telephone number being provided when someone has bought an item from me.

Message 1 of 52
See Most Recent
51 REPLIES 51

I know the buyers telephone number can be found in the order details section the seller receives.

I don't know how long it has been like that, could have been always as far as I know or just the past year.

I believe it is there because sometimes couriers require it for the seller to be able to book a delivery. Also I think it is there so buyers and sellers can contatct one another easier to arrange a time to collect if the item is a collection only item.

Message 2 of 52
See Most Recent

Thanks for the reply. In an age of scams it makes me very uneasy having to provide a number to just anyone though and surely it goes against ebay's own policies? What's to stop a seller phoning after the sale and suggesting cancelling and doing a private transaction instead - give the buyer a discount and saves the seller fees? I've occasionally had potential buyers wanting to view a large item before buying, yet I can't give them my address or phone number for this very purpose! 

Message 3 of 52
See Most Recent

You can check under your 'account settings', top left of page under 'hello _____' .

From there you can check your details given under 'delivery address'

I have my telephone number entered & so I guess I too could get a call from a seller, but most only need it as a requirement for some couriers.

I've been on Ebay since around 2002/3 & can't remember ever being phoned by a seller so I would not say it's a common occurrence.

Was there a valid reason for them to phone you?

Message 4 of 52
See Most Recent

You only get the address and phone number once the buyer has paid for the item so that probably stops sellers ringing the buyer to suggest they do an off Ebay deal afterwards. I imagine if a seller cancelled a transaction too many times after buyers paid Ebay would get suspicious and limit the sellers account.

Having said that I'm not sure how that works with collection only items as cash on collection is generally considered best. Maybe Ebay track that and too many cancelled cash on collection deals would alert them to something untoward going on.

Message 5 of 52
See Most Recent

Hi and thank you for replying!

I checked my details and it appears there is no option to not have a phone number with your delivery address which narks me no end. I've just been assuming all these years that it was just for ebay use and not to be given out to all and sundry!

It was a stock issue/delay - something that could easily have been dealt with by email. 

Message 6 of 52
See Most Recent

I would imagine that for most sellers it is not cost effective to telephone a buyer unless absolutely necessary, so hopefully you won't get another anytime soon!

Message 7 of 52
See Most Recent

All eBay users must have a telephone number on their account. If you try and remove it, it refuses until you add a different one. 

Telephone numbers are shared with sellers as said and for the reasons said. 

Buyer telephone numbers can be shared with carriers quite legitimately. 

I doubt any seller can scam you with your telephone number alone. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about this being an issue. 

@pitstop.pippa wrote:

....It was a stock issue/delay - something that could easily have been dealt with by email. 

I like that they did this. Big companies would just email/text because of costs. I like the personal touch your seller provided you. 

Condragulations, you are the winner of this week's challenge!
Message 8 of 52
See Most Recent

i`ve never been rung in over 20 years on ebay, so did the seller say why they rang?

sellers do have your number anyway, i`ve often seen mine on parcels and alot of couriers do now insist on having it, i know royal mail does when i do online postage.

Message 9 of 52
See Most Recent

It's a question of privacy - the seller has my name, address and telephone number. Until this incident I was unaware that my telephone number was being shared in addition to my other details and I'd always prefer to be contacted by email in the first instance, just to maintain some distance.

Message 10 of 52
See Most Recent

Hi there! Yes it was pretty inconsequential and could easily have been dealt with by email. In fact I was really shocked because we have disguised email addresses on ebay yet I was unaware they give out our phone numbers freely! It's a question of privacy.

Message 11 of 52
See Most Recent

I sure hope not! I thought we had disguised email addresses specifically to maintain distance between buyers and sellers.

Message 12 of 52
See Most Recent

I feel unsuited, by age, gender and sense of humour, to quicken the pulse of an obscene phone caller. I don't believe we have heard on this board of such a thing, although I remember one or two cases of people being browbeaten about a dispute. Still, such things do happen. Whatever the words they use, the message it puts across is "I don't like this, but I can't do a thing about it."

If you get a call (or message) about an out of stock item, it is likely to be an attempt to dodge a defect by suggesting an alternative item or off-the-record refund. Even worse, he may suggest that he cancel and then make an off-eBay, non fee-paying '(and unprotected) sale. I believe I would meet him half-way: let him cancel, say in feedback why he did, nd forget him.

But all of these are very remote possibilities. I have never had a phone call from eBay or a member. Plenty of people have their names in the phone book. If it worries you, I believe you can register a cheap supermarket mobile phone, which you will never use for any other purpose.

Paypal are a different proposition. they have recently taken to sending an occasional confirmation code which I must enter at login to make a payment.

Message 13 of 52
See Most Recent

I think the question of privacy online now is, well, questionable 🙂

Message 14 of 52
See Most Recent

I completely agree with you and very recently had the same happen to me and my response was exactly the same as yours. It is a question of privacy. Obviously to post something a seller needs my name and address but my phone number as well?! Is nothing sacred anymore?! The only blessing is that we've got no signal where we live so i guess that's something  but it's still beside the point. And, like you, it was only in the last month or so that my phone number showed up in the order details. Up until then, it never did and i've been on ebay since 2000! Think it's time to contact ebay about this.

Message 15 of 52
See Most Recent

HI

Did you get a resolution to this problem? I am also getting calls from a seller at wild times about a item that has not arrived Thanks

Message 16 of 52
See Most Recent

Hi,

I'm surprised people are still reading and replying to my post so it must be quite a problem. But the short answer is no, there seems to be no way to stop the seller from being given your telephone number if they're on the new seller hub, which I suppose most are. 

I thought of adding a fictitious number to my account but unfortunately ebay sometimes sends verification texts when logging in so that wouldn't work. Perhaps get a cheapy pay as you go mob just for ebay and keep it mostly switched off unless you need it for a verification text? It's annoying to have random people being given your number as a matter of course because I can count on the fingers of one hand the people I actually want to have it!

Message 17 of 52
See Most Recent

Hi Pippa,

I spoke to a agent this morning who said i needed to remove the phone details off my account (he is wrong) As you say, ebay would not be able to contact me if i did this. I am a bit surprised ebay would reveal this information to a seller as i would have thought they would like to see any correspondance sent through their platform. In my case I am in dispute with the seller who is now ringing me at weird times and without prior notification! 

Message 18 of 52
See Most Recent

I didn't think you could even have an ebay account without providing a phone number so that agent doesn't know what he is talking about!

As you say, ebay is usually quite gung-ho about enforcing no contact between members unless through ebay itself so this phone number lark seems quite counterintuitive. Next time your seller rings, tell them you will only communicate through ebay email as otherwise you'll have no record of what's being said or promised if you need to involve ebay in your dispute.

Message 19 of 52
See Most Recent

@*knight-rider* wrote:

I think the question of privacy online now is, well, questionable 🙂

I have to agree.

I have courier Apps on my phone which now automatically update themselves with tracking numbers for my eBay purchases as soon as a tracking number has been provided.  Handy in some respects, but a little freaky when it first happened! 😉

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 20 of 52
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: