What are the risks of getting banned for a chargeback?

I buy a lot of items on ebay, around 300-400 a month for a business I run. I do have a system to track all the items inbound but occasionally I forget to check.

There is one item which the seller didn't ship. I only realised after the 30 days deadline so it's past ebay's Moneyback guarantee.

The seller has a 25% positive feedback and several people complaining that the seller doesn't ship items. 

Over the last few years I bought around 8000 items, if an item is not received I open the request with ebay within 30 days of paying for the item and ebay refunds me.

This will be the first chargeback I ever did. What are the chances of getting banned?

The item is worth only £70 so it's not worth getting banned for that much.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

As you have private feedback it's impossible to properly advise.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

You won't get banned for a chargeback especially as it's your first and the system will show it hasn't been dispatched.

There is a system in place which means if it's a recurring thing, lots of item not received cases opened & returns, Ebay will remove the money back guarantee. Nobobdy (apart from ebay) knows what the limit is.

The comment about having private feedback makes no difference to answering your question!

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

I have to disagree with @therma-tec 

Personally, I would need to see your feedback to respond to your question.

I would want to know what percentage of negatives you left for sellers and get an indication of how many item not received cases you do open - this can often be seen in feedback left for others.

It is very unlikely that anbody would be banned from buying for opening a single chargeback but if there was a history of INR cases, returns, bid retractions and feedback revisions, it might be a different matter.

Just my opinions - but this is a discussion forum.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I have to disagree with @jckl1957 

The OP has clearly stated

@info_amars.me wrote:

This will be the first chargeback I ever did. What are the chances of getting banned?

Given the above, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to see feedback to answer a simple question.  I'll say it again, first time = extremely unlikley!

The whole point of this place is to provide 'help from the community', so many 'Mentors' just dive straight in with negativity which serves no purpose at all. A simple question can be given a simple answer!

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I would go further and and say that there is no chance of ebay doing anything to a member who opens a chargeback with their bank, unless and until their actions start to cost ebay money.  Those will be cases where ebay seller protection kicks in and ebay, presumably, picks up the tab if the funding source decides the member should get a refund.

Even if a buyer opens 'too many' MBG cases, what ebay does is remove their ability to use the MBG, they don't get banned from ebay.

It would have been helpful if the OP had elaborated on what they meant by banned and who by, though.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: