Seller approved return but wont send label

I bought yet another counterfeit item :(. 

I opened a not as described case and the seller approved the return, but keeps telling me that I need to send it to them myself. I messaged them asking for a return label and they replied saying that returning it to them is my responsibility so I have to pay for return postage and then send them a receipt etc.

I'd rather they just sent Me a shipping label.

I read older articles saying that in that case I can escalate, but there is no option to escalate. There are only two buttons, mark as dispatched or close return. It's been a couple of days now.

What do I do in this situation?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

The option to escalate only appears after 3 complete working days.    If it's beyond that contact ebay about it using the live chat link on here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

The option to escalate is labelled "Ask eBay to step in" - this appears after 3 days, once it appears, click this, state no return label supplied and eBay will supply you with a return label and bill the seller for it 

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

The seller can state what he wants, but for not as described, it's their job to pay for it's return by providing a label, so if they don't, ask ebay to step in after the 3 days, they will provide the label and charge the seller for it.

Only 'attempted' delivery is required, so if the seller thinks refusing delivery will help them, he's wrong!

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Hello

Sorry i wondered if you could help me.

I am sending an item back and the seller has agreed to a return which they pay for but will not send me a pre paid label and have asked many times ....They send me messages to send it to their address or give me my personal email address to send the label....Going round in circles and won't answer me what i am asking for.....The last message was asking me how much shipping would be.

So frustrated as i have a certain amount of time to send the parcel back or i could lose my money....There is nowhere i can see to get intouch with ebay to ask them to step in to get the seller to send me a label or do i have to wait until the time is up to send the parcel? this has been going on for over 5 days now.

Would be most grateful for your help!

Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

@stasharosle  Have you opened an Item Not As Described case in relation to this item, or have you just asked the seller for a refund via eBay Messages?  If you've opened an Item Not As Described case then after three working days you can escalate the case to eBay if the seller is being unhelpful.  As mentioned earlier on in the thread, it's the option that says "Ask eBay To Step In" - choose this option, making sure that you make it clear that the seller is refusing to provide you with a returns postage label.  If you do that then eBay ought to supply you with a label so that you can return the item to the seller for a refund.  All eBay return labels are tracked, so once the tracking shows successful or attempted delivery to the seller you will get your money back.  In some instances eBay just force the refund through regardless, especially if the seller continues to behave obstructively, and if that happens eBay wouldn't require you to return the item before a refund could be issued.

If you have been in contact with the seller via eBay Messages and that is how he sent the message to return the item don't return the item that way.  The seller does not need your personal e-mail address to send you a postage label, so don't fall for that one.  In most cases sending an item back to a seller for a refund outside of an eBay case is a recipe for disaster, as unless you're dealing with an extremely honest seller there's a high chance that you could end up losing both the money and the item, as you would be returning it outside of an eBay case and if something did go wrong you would not be able to ask eBay to step in and help you.

In the event that you opened a case but ended up going past the thirty day cut-off period, eBay would automatically close the case and you wouldn't be able to open another eBay case in relation to the same transaction.  In this scenario you have two alternative options:

The first alternative option would be to open a case against the seller via PayPal if you paid for the item using PayPal.  If this applies to you log into your PayPal account and open a case against the seller there.  Unlike eBay, who only give you thirty days to open a case, PayPal allow buyers a total of one hundred and eighty days during which to open a case against a seller.  However, if you do go down this route, make sure that you escalate the case before PayPal's twenty day cut-off period if the seller proves to be unhelpful, otherwise the case will automatically time out.  PayPal do tend to look at cases far more closely than eBay do, so if you don't get any luck with eBay then you should be able to get your money back via PayPal.

The second alternative if eBay close the case on you - or if you run out of time to open an eBay case - applies in the event that you paid via credit or debit card.  If this applies to you then try doing a chargeback instead.  You have one hundred and twenty days from the date of purchase to do this, so you should still stand a chance of being able to get your money back.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Hello

Thank-you so much for all your advise it is really appreciated :0)

Hope you have a great day!

Kindest Regards

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: