No Item No Refund

I recently purchased an item from a seller, which was my first purchase in many years, unfortunately, my profile address was out of date and as soon as I realised this error I immediately contacted the seller, which was well before the dispatch, to inform them of my new address, the seller agreed to send parcel to my new address, all messages sent via eBay messages but the seller still sent the item to my old address which was promptly refused at the door by the new resident and returned to Royal Mail.

The seller did not put a return address on the parcel and it has now been sent to a holding office in Ireland where it will be disposed of.

So now I am out of pocket for £64 with no item and no refund. 
EBay have been no help at all, 3 phone calls and a promised refund to no avail!

Royal Mail will not reimburse me as the item is not lost or damaged and the seller is being very rude and obnoxious telling me to "take this one on the chin"  and "own up to your own mistake" when he definitely agreed to send it to my new address at the very beginning.

Is it just me or does this happen a lot? 
Come on EBay play fair!

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

No Item No Refund

I'm sorry, as I don't think you will get far with this, but, did the seller give you a tracking number & if so, when you look at the tracking info does it confirm the refused delivery <at old address/area> & the whereabouts of the parcel now in Ireland?

Is that how you know it's ended up in Ireland?

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

No Item No Refund

To be honest you can't exactly blame the seller for the fact that you didn't receive the item as you failed to update your delivery address on your account.  When sellers sell goods on eBay they are contractually obliged to despatch the item to the address that was provided at eBay Checkout, even if the buyer subsequently messages them asking them to post it elsewhere.  Most sellers will refuse to do this as they would lose Seller Protection if they posted the item to an address that did not match the one provided at Checkout.

Given that you provided the seller with an obsolete address when you paid for the item the mistake is on you.  If you were to open an Item Not Received case then the seller would more than likely win the case, as if he sent the item via a tracked service then he will be able to prove attempted delivery to the address that you provided at Checkout.

In order to prevent a recurrence of this problem go back to your account settings and update your address details now if you have not already done so.  This should prevent any further problems like this from occurring again in the future, as once you have updated your address details the new address should then show up as your default delivery address for any further purchases made.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: