New 'improved ' ebay is awful!

One thing I learned ( and taught!) in my long career in senior sales and marketing directorships and teaching posts is, 'If you change a format  make sure it's an improvement on what you already have', simple but true.

I just can't believe that ebay has made so many changes all, it seems, for the worse that the ones they replaced. A couple of examples will suffice: Purchase History, Buyer Feedback and now trying to contact their so-called Help Desk which hardly merits the name as all one gets is a list of menus and ,an hour or so ago, I tried to send an email , which was closed ( although it was well within the hours it said it was open).

One of the reasons we buy from the same shops, go to the same garage and barber is familiarity : we get used to the routine and want to stick to it, but at least we can see the service we are getting. So it is even more important that 'distant-buying' (ebay, of course) gives us some reassurance that comes with routine and, for want of a better word, 'sameness'.

Just because ( if this is the case- and I supect it is!), a new marketeer arrives he or she does not have to bring with them a format from theis old company along with their leaving-presents!

( Sometimes the 'baby' just requires fresh bath-water, not throwing out).

Message 1 of 29
See Most Recent
28 REPLIES 28

Please apply for any job vacancies at eBay HQ  ! 

We need people with your ' thinking'  steering their ship.

Message 2 of 29
See Most Recent

You won't get any argument from me, it is now to over engineered and complicated, and I am a dedicated ebayer now struggling to find the motivation to continue ploughing through the mud.

I am not an engager, I am a number.
Message 3 of 29
See Most Recent

@tressygirl wrote:

Please apply for any job vacancies at eBay HQ  ! 

We need people with your ' thinking'  steering their ship.

That would involve the pain of being told that telling others what to do comes later.  I have generally worked my way through system changes without difficulty. I suspect that I don't have the professional background to notice.

Message 4 of 29
See Most Recent

@glasgow*123 wrote:

One thing I learned ( and taught!) in my long career in senior sales and marketing directorships and teaching posts is, 'If you change a format  make sure it's an improvement on what you already have', simple but true.

I just can't believe that ebay has made so many changes all, it seems, for the worse that the ones they replaced. A couple of examples will suffice: Purchase History, Buyer Feedback and now trying to contact their so-called Help Desk which hardly merits the name as all one gets is a list of menus and ,an hour or so ago, I tried to send an email , which was closed ( although it was well within the hours it said it was open).

One of the reasons we buy from the same shops, go to the same garage and barber is familiarity : we get used to the routine and want to stick to it, but at least we can see the service we are getting. So it is even more important that 'distant-buying' (ebay, of course) gives us some reassurance that comes with routine and, for want of a better word, 'sameness'.

Just because ( if this is the case- and I supect it is!), a new marketeer arrives he or she does not have to bring with them a format from theis old company along with their leaving-presents!

( Sometimes the 'baby' just requires fresh bath-water, not throwing out).

New and improved? They kept that quiet.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 5 of 29
See Most Recent

Ebays motto is "if it aint broke, break it"

As a software engineer for 40 years  I have learned if it works leave well alone, changes can introduce new bugs. Also different isnt always better. Especially when users have got used to the old way.

Message 6 of 29
See Most Recent

THE OLD EBAY BEFORE THIS NEW ONE WAS FAR EASIER TO USE AND UNDERSTAND. I CAN'T CHANGE MY CHOICE OF PAYMENT AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS. HAVING EARLIE ONSET DEMENTIA AND LEARNING PROBLEMS HAS CAUSED MAJOR CONFUSION. PLEASE GO BACK TO THE OLD ONE. IF ITS NOT BROKE THEN DON'T FIX IT. YOU FORGET PEOPLE THAT CAN'T HANDLE CHANGE AND THE ELDERLY. YOUR GOING TO LOOSE PEOPLE TO AMAZON.

Message 7 of 29
See Most Recent

Apparently they weren't satisfied with 2022 Incompetent Sys Designer Of The Year, and forced to roll back some of the incompetence, but now in 2023 they appear to have gone one better and have done something to the "Place Bid" functionality, leaving me scared to buy anything.
There was no "On Sys Alert" that Auction Bidding screens had changed, no useful Rumble video taking us through the new 2023 bidding screens and popups. No eBay Help system showing the screens / sequence.

No, you're left to learn their system changes Live And Dangerous, risking Money. They Do Not Care....

I was wanting to buy something tomorrow, but I'm afraid of the new bidding screens, no way to see what they are, what screens to expect when I'm trying to win a bid at the last min.

Message 8 of 29
See Most Recent

I've had 3 buyers in the last few days say they'll pay next week.

That's not happened to me for 15 years or more.

If this is an improvement, don't like it.

Message 9 of 29
See Most Recent

@easyrider0117 wrote:

THE OLD EBAY BEFORE THIS NEW ONE WAS FAR EASIER TO USE AND UNDERSTAND. I CAN'T CHANGE MY CHOICE OF PAYMENT AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS. HAVING EARLIE ONSET DEMENTIA AND LEARNING PROBLEMS HAS CAUSED MAJOR CONFUSION. PLEASE GO BACK TO THE OLD ONE. IF ITS NOT BROKE THEN DON'T FIX IT. YOU FORGET PEOPLE THAT CAN'T HANDLE CHANGE AND THE ELDERLY. YOUR GOING TO LOOSE PEOPLE TO AMAZON.

They won't lose people who can't handle change to amazon. 

Its the one site that they won't drive people to. 

Dogen
Message 10 of 29
See Most Recent

@handbagperfume wrote:

I've had 3 buyers in the last few days say they'll pay next week.

That's not happened to me for 15 years or more.

If this is an improvement, don't like it.

Least you had buyers...

Dogen
Message 11 of 29
See Most Recent

Apparently they seemed to have rolled back their new Auction "Place Bid" incompetent functionality, the next day, Jan 7th, the system is back to the simple 2 step "Submit Bid" "Confirm Bid", instead of the cluttered 3 or more step?, "review bid" etc process ebay though it was important to use user bank accounts for live testing on....

Message 12 of 29
See Most Recent

The developers obviously are not actual eBay users and are working on huge screens and not checking thier work on 10.12" laptops. 

Its Dire and inconsistant

Yodel miss-deliver 80% of my puchases and either don't bother or lose the rest. Obviously I have no way of contacting them, they have made sure of that, eBay, PayPal nor the various courier apps don't have a field for drivers instructions nor a W3W address.

So best I cana do is look out for Yodel deliveries. What used to be scanning a singe screen (Purchase History/ Orders is now three screens and a lot of snow blindness. Infuriating 

I don't do feedback at all now for same reasons - how about a "i've got it and I'm not complaing burtton"

Slowly moving to the alternatives

Message 13 of 29
See Most Recent

They really have got some terrible developers.  It took me four attempts to add a listing this morning.   Choosing "courier" for the postage method locks down the listing and means you can't add collection information or postage costs.   You have to choose "small item" to get it to work (my item is 100x70x22 cm!).   When you try to list, it won't let you unless you choose a dispatch time.  Guess what?  Dispatch time is a hidden option under "preferences".   

Shockingly bad progamming and blieve me, I know bad programming - I work for a bank.

Message 14 of 29
See Most Recent

This is the worst ebay has ever been! Pointless and for me I have swapped out to selling on other platforms, most are free to use with one charging £20 pa. I paid more than that in commission on one sale on here. No limitations on those I have swapped to and sales are good. This platform is the most unfriendly customer interface and experience.

Message 15 of 29
See Most Recent

Ebay has changed, for the worse, are the words I put into a google search and wow. "What's wrong with eBay today?" channelx was an interesting article

Message 16 of 29
See Most Recent

Talking of feedback I think it would be a lot more helpful if a seller's feedback is kept seperate from their buying feedback considering all buying feedback has only been positive for years.  Why dilute down a bad seller's feedback % by combining selling and buying transactions?

Message 17 of 29
See Most Recent

eBay is always being improved and it's always been awful after any so called 'dynamic improvement' no matter how small or 'dynamic' that may be.

It usually results in the beginnings of a breakdown loop which slowly works through eBay until something stops working or works worse than it did before the change - It's called a work in progress, apparently! 😆

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 18 of 29
See Most Recent

its been a constant for the last 20 years....there is no stopping them.....hopefully things come full circle,but I doubt it......they like to tinker.

Message 19 of 29
See Most Recent

Totally agree with a lot of these comments. Its true, it worked so smoothly for so long.....now there are so many glitches and bugs in trying to list an item, eg. verify your details etc.....a verify confirmation SMS took 10 mins to reach my mobile and I'm now apparantly an  unverified seller (after being with Ebay 19 years).... so frustrating. Contacting support and getting problem resolved taking days. No way to run a business.

Message 20 of 29
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: