I believe I bought an item that was not geuine

I purchased a bottle of perfume in good faith. It said it was sealed.

I have not opened it until yesterday as my other bottle ( 100% real as purchased instore) was not finished.

I opened the packet and found the perfume  is the wrong colour , it smells bad , the bottle is different .

I contacted the seller. Initially they said I was mistaken but after sending images of the perfume they sold me next to a bottle that is 100% genuine they have agreed to refund me but only AFTER I send the bottle back for them to check.

IS this correct.

I found a helpful article online that suggests I should not send the item back as they could then resell it to another buyer.

Please advise. I have raised a concern about the buyer but struggling to actually speak to a human about how to resolve/ get advice

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Under eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy , opening a case for item not as described,  if the seller wishes the item to be sent back first,  you do have to send it,  but at the seller's expense.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

As long  as it's still within 30 days of delivery you should do the whole thing via eBay.   So click on "Return this item" on right of your order on your Purchases page and select "Doesn't match description" as the reason.   If necessary escalate it to eBay after 3 complete working days.   You will be issued with a paid-for return postage label and your money will be refunded after the item arrives back with the seller.   Don't worry, eBay will enforce the refund.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

It's against eBay policy to sell used perfume on eBay.

It's why there is no used category only  new or new other when listing.

But it doesn't stop it happening a lot.

I've reported countless used perfumes but eBay's automated system rubbish at removing them.

Is the seller expecting you to send the perfume back at your expense?

Are you within the 30 days money back guarantee to open a return?

If so they should provide a returns label.

Perfume is prohibited by most if not all couriers except Royal Mail.

It would also need an ID8000 warning label on the parcel.

Screenshot_2024-04-30-14-33-31-237.jpeg

If you want to talk to eBay customer services try this link to get a call back or chat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid 

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: