Buyer sent wrong goods but the return label only covered 0.2kg.

So I purchased 2x server rack rails from the seller and subsequently collected the goods in person. When I checked the contents, they had given me 2 left rails instead of a right and a left. I phoned them to explain and they said they'd ring me back as the guy who dealt with it wasn't available right then. 

I didn't receive any return calls and sent them several messages through eBay...none of which were ever replied to. Eventually I initiated a return of the goods but the returns label only covered 0.2kg and the rails were about 3kg. I messaged them again asking to provide me the correct returns label but again no response. 

I left the UK to go on holiday and the return date for the original label expired. eBay then found in their favour and said I wasn't now eligible for a refund , They even removed the negative feedback I left.

I'm left with a product not as described, not fit for purpose. So I lost £20 + £15 in fuel and want some recourse on this matter

Please advise!

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Such as shame you didn't come to us earlier, to ask what to do, with that inadequate label.

For returns,  eBay send a standard 2kg label,  for anything heavier, you need to contact eBay Customer Services,  and they would have supplied the correct label,  and charged it to the seller's account.

This was not done, so the window closed to return,  and escalate the case.

Once closed,  another case for the same item,  cannot be opened with eBay.

Turn now to your payment provider for help with this refund.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

I've now initiated a chargeback. This is very poor on eBay as to call you from abroad would cost me £2.20pm. the seller clearly did not provide goods fit for purpose and if I don't get recompense off either eBay or my bank... I'll throw the seller in the small claims court.

I'll also be giving poor review on trust pilot. At the very least eBay should reinstate the negative feedback

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

The court fee for claims up to £300 in the small claims court is £35 so it's probably not even worth considering.

Your bank should help to get your money back. Contact them today to start a chargeback.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Fee isn't the issue...this seller blatantly ignored my requests and messages and made a mistake. They should've been man enough to sort it...

FYI my bank just refunded the money...still doesn't get my time and £15 fuel costs back and the seller still has 100% positive feedback which is a joke....they should be banned from eBay 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

@tonk_of_leek wrote:

Fee isn't the issue...this seller blatantly ignored my requests and messages and made a mistake. They should've been man enough to sort it...

FYI my bank just refunded the money...still doesn't get my time and £15 fuel costs back and the seller still has 100% positive feedback which is a joke....they should be banned from eBay 

When you collected the goods from the seller did it not occur to you to actually inspect the goods so as to ensure that they were as described in the listing?  Had you inspected the goods and taken a very close look at them you would more than likely have spotted that you had two left rails, in which case you wouldn't be in this mess now.   Therefore, you can't pin all of the blame on the seller - you need to accept some of the responsibility for the situation that you now find yourself in.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

What a stupid response. The rails were taped together hiding the label that said left front, right front. Don't switch the blame on me and please tell me why the seller failed to answer a single message about the problem. It was the seller's responsibility to package the correct items. They should've offered to correct their mistake but chose to ignore every message I sent....they should have negative feedback recorded.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

@tonk_of_leek wrote:

What a stupid response. The rails were taped together hiding the label that said left front, right front. Don't switch the blame on me and please tell me why the seller failed to answer a single message about the problem. It was the seller's responsibility to package the correct items. They should've offered to correct their mistake but chose to ignore every message I sent....they should have negative feedback recorded.

And how long would it have taken you to peel off the tape so as to inspect the labels, or to take the rails out of their boxes (if applicable) so as to physically inspect them in order to ensure that you had the correct ones?  If you're collecting something in person then it's up to you to check the item you're collecting in order to ensure that the item is as described in the listing, as it's at that point that you get the chance to say "That's not what I asked for" if something doesn't look right.  By not bothering to check properly and just taking the rails away you've only gone and made matters worse for yourself.  You cannot blame the seller for the fact that you didn't bother to check the rails more closely, hence the reason why I said that you have to accept some of the blame for the situation that you now find yourself in.

With regards to your comments about the seller, yes, I agree the seller should have ensured that the correct items had been packaged up and made ready for you prior to collection and he/she should have been more helpful when you sent the e-mail to state that something had gone wrong, as occasionally mistakes do happen.  However, you passed up your opportunity to thoroughly inspect the items upon collection, thus exacerbating the problem.

Unfortunately the fact that the seller is taking the view of "I don't have to help you out if something's gone wrong - get lost!" is of course completely wrong, but - and I know you'll get sick of me coming back to this point again - you should have either untaped those rails so that you could inspect the labels, or better still, removed them from their boxes, if applicable, and checked them closely at the point of collection so that you could have pointed out that you had been given the wrong items.  Had you done that in the first place then you would have been in a far stronger position to force the seller into putting the matter right, but by accepting what you had been given upon collection and driving off with them without checking the rails you did yourself no favours at all.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

`What a stupid response. The rails were taped together hiding the label that said left front, right front. Don't switch the blame on me and please tell me why the seller failed to answer a single message about the problem.`

The seller is certainly in the wrong for not dealing with the issue and isn`t the best way to deal with customers.

`It was the seller's responsibility to package the correct items.`

Your right, sellers should make sure what they are selling what they say they are selling and make sure it`s correct in all details, but i`m sure you`ve been on ebay long enough now, to know that one persons interpretation of something, isn`t other peoples, which is why when you get a chance to actually collect something and look at it first, you need to make sure what you pay for, is what it should be in the condition you were told it was. 

As pointed out, the peices were only taped together, so it would have taken seconds to untape them and check them, had the seller refused to, it would have raised a red flag to me and i would have been out the door 🙂

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Hmmm I'm not a server rack engineer.... it's been many years since I racked a enterprise level server and I wouldn't even know just by looking at the rails if they were the right rails or not....they didn't come in a box with instructions...just taped together using wide packing tape. I have attached the pic here. On one you can clearly see front left but in the way they're taped together you cannot see the second rail label. The company is supposedly a professional IT parts reseller and would've obviously have taken the rails out of a data centre server rack and IMO could be trusted to give me the correct parts as they're dealing with these type of parts on a daily basis.

To me as a layman I got handed to me rather quickly in their company reception area the goods and in order for me to check I'd actually need an instruction manual to hand because seriously I wouldn't know how to identify left from right...I didn't even notice it had a label as such till I got home and started to try and install them.... Oh look they've given me two left rails, that should've been so obvious. DOH!

1000006906.jpg

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: