Bought an item but suspected pirated material

I'm in the middle of sorting out registering a device, and with that I had to contact the manufacturer who then asked me where I bought it from. So I provided them the ebay link and also the issue I had. Now it seems the issue with registering is something being resolved, a software issue I think. But they did ask about the expansion packs that was sold with it, and if I could provide the license which I do not have. Not sure where I stand with this, as it seems the seller has sold these content packs on sd and they're asking for details regarding the seller which I assume they contact.

But do I send the item back because of this?, as one of the highlights was the extras but I thought there was transferable.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"it seems the seller has sold these content packs on sd" 

that would point to the seller copying the material without permission.

You have 30 days from delivery to return as - not as described - if you are worried.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Is this an adequate reason though, as this sounds more like changing one's mind. But the issue is I don't want the device blocked. Plus they're requesting details, and I'm telling them i bought it from ebay

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

If they are copying copyright material without permission, that's illegal and cannot be sold on eBay or elsewhere, so not genuine = not as described.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

The device works though but its just the samples on there, I guess I could remove them but that was part of why I bought it.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Anything like this that is sold and supplied on an sd card, is clearly fake or pirated/copied, that alone would be reason enough for me to return it, because the manufacturer wouldn't supply it like that. The fact that the sd card issue is raising doubts about the item being possibly blocked, would also be enough to be concerned and if your not happy or worried about it, then you need to return it, regardless of how it appears to them or anyone else 😊

At the end of the day, it's your risk and it's your money, but i know what i'd do.

Out of interest, does the seller sell multiples of this item and are there any concerns/issues mentioned in the feedback that may help to resolve it and it may help others here to give you advice if we know what item we are talking about is.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Checking his sold listings, he actually has sold several SD cards. No bad feedback except for something not arriving. But I'm worried because he's going to argue change of mind and ebay may side with him despite having issues with the account and the company stating I need license and want proof as ebay listing is not enough

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

If you open a return and choose the reason "doesn't match photos or discription" the seller can't refuse the return as it's not classed a change of mind return.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

If it's a business seller, your entitled to change your mind, so it doesn't matter what he thinks, if it's a private seller, then there's not much you can do for change of mind, but if the item isn't as described, then that's different.

You don't seem comfortable with all this at all and on top of the issues your having with the company, i'm not sure what else to say, other than just return it. 

I'm not sure if i'm the only one picking up on it, but you almost seem to be avoiding the return by fighting suggestions on what to do about it, i.e what he thinks, what ebay thinks etc etc. Your not happy or the item is not as described, so return it and get your money back, end of issue 😉

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: