Can you be a private seller and have an eBay shop?

To me, the terms are antithetical: private sellers do not have shops. I stumbled upon a private seller with an eBay shop stocked with over seventeen hundred items. On the first page of sixty items, ordered from highest price to lowest,  the dearest was nearly £4,500 while the cheapest was nearly £800. The photographs are very good, better than my local auctioneer's online photos, the descriptions are meticulous, the range of goods is not like a private collection but covers a wide range and resembles a provincial auctioneers "fine sale of antiques and collectors' pieces", ranging from a sixteenth century  (!!!!) silver spoon to Moorcroft, Clarice Cliff, Lalique and on to Fantoni  and Bitossi pottery and Venini glassware and high end Studio pottery of the last forty years. The cheapest item is an erotic vintage postcard for £10 inc. postage.

He doesn't sell a lot of items numerically and the prices are mostly with "make an offer" but do seem to be fair market prices such as one would see in an antiques shop or fair. I'm wondering whether it would be a better way of selling for me: I'm not saying it isn't a good strategy but is he a "private seller"?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

This is all based on a misapprehension. I see my own listings are shown when you click on Shop on my About page. I hadn't noticed that. I certainly don't subscribe to a Shop. So it is "shop" as an imperative verb (do it), not "shop" as a noun. More egg on this sorry face.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

1700 ?.Small fry.

A recent "private" poster had 14 ,742 items !!!.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Is eBay doing anything about this? I feel I am being fleeced, paying business fees, for what?

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: