Keyless cars?

Have you got one? Where do you keep your fob?

I was reading about the ease with which keyless cars can be stolen but what do you make of these two reports which seem to conflict?:-

"The only three keyless cars that ADAC tested that were not susceptible to relay attacks were from Jaguar Land Rover – the latest models of the Discovery and Range Rover, and the 2018 Jaguar I-Pace."

"ADAC tested 237 keyless cars and found that all but three were susceptible, including the latest models of the Discovery and Range Rover, and the 2018 Jaguar i-Pace - all made by Jaguar Land Rover."

That last (from the BBC) appears to say that the JL cars WERE susceptible to easy theft?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Keyless cars?

Keyless START is now standard on most cars but keyless ENTRY is an option on most.

Where it is not an option you can now purchase an aftermarket remote immobiliser which looks like a normal fob and adds a layer of protection as it prevents anyone from starting the car unless the fob is within 12 inches of the immobilisers receiver.  

As the immobiliser works on microwaves and not radio frequency it cannot be 'piggybacked' or cloned.

BMW are now offering it as a no cost option on all thier cars so it should not be long before other manufacturers follow suit.

Just wondering why it should be an option at all.........

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Keyless cars?

Speaking radio-wise, microwaves are still a radio frequency, just a great deal higher frequency.

Very roughly speaking, the higher the frequency the less range for the same output power.

If you're using any form of radio frequency for anything, anyone so inclined can also make use of that frequency either by receiving or transmitting unless you've ensured what you're doing is encrypted in some way.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Keyless cars?

Keyless cars = progress 😏
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent