How do they....?

Phone rings and I'm alerted straight away as it's an automated message and as soon as they mentioned Amazon I put the phone down!!! I don't have an Amazon account and have never dealt with Amazon.

How do the scammers get your number? Do they call at random? Do they work their way through numbers or are they targeting people from a list of numbers they've go from somewhere?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

How do they....?

The three calls I've had from them this week have all been on the landline.

Which makes me think it's a list of numbers they're using.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

How do they....?

I wonder where they get the list of numbers from then?

Ten past eight this morning and I got another one.

Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

How do they....?

I'm sure scammers call at random.  My husband had a call recently from someone pretending to be from our bank, wanting to confirm our online banking details.  As we don't do online banking, the caller's number has been forwarded to the fraud department.  We haven't had any calls from "Amazon".  It may be that lists of phone numbers have been sold, a good reason to look out for little boxes to tick on forms, but I do think random combinations of digits are called, in the hope that someone will answer, and then fall for the scam.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

How do they....?

Just after 11:30 and the phone rings "Hello this is ***** from Amazon customer service...." plonk, I put the phone down!!!

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

How do they....?

I've had three this morning on my landline, one claiming to be from Amazon, one from Visa, one from Netflix and a silent one on my mobile.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent