Absolutely Stumped

I am a purchaser from Sydney, Australia, last October I purchased a Tandem X2:Slim Insulin pump as I am a type 1 diabetic. The item had an eBay money back guarantee but the seller had marked the item as non returnable I paid 850 pounds for the item. After much discussion between the manufacturers agents in both the UK & Australia it turns out that the device needed a software update so that it could deal with my systems otherwise it was useless. The UK agent informed me that the seller was not the original purchaser and that the item was probably stolen from the NHS. Also the item is classified as a medical device that should not be sold on eBay (as per their own regulations). I have tried contacting eBay about the problem with no success. They have told me on a number of occasions that they will contact me in next 24-48 hours but they never have. I feel that eBay should honour their money back guarantee as I am now the proud owner of a device the cannot be used. Purchased 25 Sept 2023

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Absolutely Stumped

I'm sorry,  but eBay have a 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy so on receipt of your item,  you have 30 days from the item's last estimated date for delivery to return it back to the seller,  at the seller's  expense for a full refund.  I'm afraid eBay cannot guarantee an item will be fit for purpose months down the line.

Hopefully,  you are still in time , and can turn to your payment provider for help with this refund.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

I appreciate and agree with your comments to an extent. Firstly ebay should not have sold/advertised the item as it is deemed medical equipment which cannot be sold without a presciption. I was unaware of this at the time of initial purpose but after consulting with my Doctor and diabetic support tem which is very time consuming was I made aware. Secondly the seller who could not provide the initial owners details but which the manufacturers agents knew but cannot provide me with so as to update the software was compicite in this deceitful transaction.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

eBay are just a selling platform,  one with 7 billion plus listings,  just impossible to check every listing for an item to be legit.

Sellers all have to agree to eBay's user agreements which include Not selling fake items and to be honest in their descriptions.

All eBay can then enforce when these rules are broken and an item not as described is receievd, is to protect their buyers with their 30 day MBG Money Back Guarantee policy.

If there is any chance an item received may not be real a fake or otherwise,  the buyer has to check its validity and have a month to do so.

Those I'm afraid are the rules, and yes I agree it's bad for this seller not answering you with the manufcturer's details,  but  knowlingly this item does explain a lot about this person's character,  so no real surprise they do not wish to be helpful here.

@phro-6111 

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

@tressygirl  I think this might be a wind-up. The OP's account  shows as being located in Australia and was created in June 2019, but this account on the Community Boards was only created yesterday. Not a big deal in itself perhaps, but all the feedback left on the OP's account is for transactions over a year ago. Granted, it may be that no feedback has been left for the purchase mentioned but the absence of any activity over the last 12 months does make me wonder if this is a genuine post.

There are a few things that simply don't add up, the biggest of which, I think, is: why would a Type 1 diabetic purchase a second-hand insulin pump and have it shipped halfway round the world? The voltage is the same but Australia uses a different plug type, so it's not as if an insulin pump wouldn't work straight out the box, but if had been shipped all the way from the UK I should think that's the first thing a Type 1 diabetic would need it to do...

Sorry, but I just don't think any of this is true.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

Well, you could be right, @thesmokingrunner  but why all that trouble with such a detailed post to gain what?  

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

To gain what? Attention.

Worked, didn't it?

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

Mmmm,  I need more coffee !  @thesmokingrunner 

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Absolutely Stumped

I lost more than £850 in my life but what I learn from shopping on other site directly from chinese is never belive what description says and always test product properly. There are many counterfeits on the market and also lots of sellers try to rip you off there.

Also you need to know your rights. You could return any item back even seller did not accept it when desription does not match but deadline for this is over.

So last chance I think is if you made purchase via PayPal you have 180 days from payment date to open dispute with them. Also credit card companies have long deadlines for disputes.

Lastly you could go to the police if believe it was stolen however I don't think you would get your money back unless you go to court.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent