Funds on hold item sent How long before I get paid?

Hi again all,

I've been selling on eBay for around 4 months now. I've sold a decent amount of items, have great feedback and dispatch items same day.

I posted on here last week after my funds got placed on hold. 

It's happened again but this time as the item was only £10, I sent it.

This is the wording eBay have given me on when I may receive my funds. It's pretty vague.

"Funds will be available after we can confirm delivery
Although the buyer has paid, the funds will be on hold until 1 day after we can confirm delivery. Keep in mind it may take longer to get paid if the buyer reports a problem or we detect an issue with the transaction. Learn more about payment holds. "

How I read this is as follows, eBay will hold my money for longer, should they wish, or if it takes them longer to confirm delivery, which is what bugs me. So basically even if the postman does his job and marks as delivered and it all updates. Ebay may still hold my money beyond this point? 

How long really before I see the funds?

I'm not interested in generic response / links to small print from those of you lucky enough to have older accounts that weren't subject to payment holds.

I would like some feedback from users with the actual experiences of these payment holds. 

Did you get the money? If so how long did it take? Any issues or problems? 

Many thanks 

Message 1 of 39
See Most Recent
38 REPLIES 38

Bump anyone had payments on hold? If so how long did it take until you got paid? 

Message 2 of 39
See Most Recent

21-28 days although if you send tracked the funds may be released sooner once the item shows as delivered

Message 3 of 39
See Most Recent

If you click the "learn more about payment holds" link in your OP, all the information you require is on that page...

Message 4 of 39
See Most Recent

As mentioned I'm looking for actual real life feedback from users who have had funds on hold. 

Not interested in the generic/ read the link response... The information there is open to interpretation / speculation / eBay's discretion.... 

Thanks for the response though, if you have indeed been subject to a payment holds please let me know what your personal experience was. 

Many Thanks 

Message 5 of 39
See Most Recent

Tbh it all seems a bit much for a £10 item, but thought I'd send to see what happens. Currently 3.29 out of pocket due to postage cost..

I already have a good seller record as per eBay customer service rep. I can understand them putting funds on hold after a persons first sale, but why have they started putting my funds on hold 4 months down the line?  It's very odd.

Anyway, if anybody has actually real world experience of funds on hold, please don't hesitate to reply and let me know how long it took for you to get your money? 

Message 6 of 39
See Most Recent

So literally nobody on here has had funds on hold? Nobody can tell me what their experience was? 

Message 7 of 39
See Most Recent

When I was a new seller, my funds were on hold for around 28 days and this continued for a couple of months.  Since then, the only time they've been on hold is when some idiot buyer raises a return or an INR.

Message 8 of 39
See Most Recent

Thanks for the reply,

Did you have tracking on the items? Did it start from your first sale or did it happen suddenly a few months in as with my account?

Message 9 of 39
See Most Recent

Oh and more importantly, I'm assuming you got the money eventually right? 

Message 10 of 39
See Most Recent

None of the items were tracked, and it started from the first sale and carried on for a couple of months.

Message 11 of 39
See Most Recent

Yes, after a month, the money started to trickle in.  I expected to have payment holds, so it didn't bother me, I was just a little surprised that it went on for so long.  

I can believe many bad things about eBay, but I never thought that they'd run off with my money (not that they'd be able to run far on my sales).

Message 12 of 39
See Most Recent

Thanks, it's odd mine didn't start going on hold from my first sale. I've already built a very good track record. One feedback states his best experience on eBay. Did you get paid eventually mate? 

Message 13 of 39
See Most Recent

This is good to hear. I'm not selling anything particularly valuable. I'm assuming you would have got paid sooner had you used a tracked service? It's really odd that they have allowed me to sell for 3-4 months no problems and suddenly decided they need to place me under new seller restrictions. Especially as I have a good record, fast dispatch ( same day ) plus buying all labels direct from eBay with tracking. 

But hearing you eventually got paid is a good sign. I don't want to be waiting a month though, so hopefully tracking will speed things up for me. I'm selling because I'm broke lol. Not here to run a business, so could do without it, especially as I've paid postage out of my money. 

Message 14 of 39
See Most Recent

When I had that restriction I would generally get paid 2-3 days after delivery. Sell enough though and you'll be upgraded to instant payment and before delivery - well, next day anyway.

I'm not sure if the category you sell in matters or anything, I was 'upgraded' after providing additional verification documents on request though but I think this was triggered by a certain number of sales in a short period, it seemed to happen immediately after I hit some value I can't remember.

Message 15 of 39
See Most Recent

Thanks, I see you've only sold 3 items. It's so strange I've sold quite a few items over the past few months. 

I don't understand why they are holding my funds this far into my selling journey. I've already got a very good selling records it's odd. Encouraging to hear people do get paid eventually but I could really do without this. 

Message 16 of 39
See Most Recent

If you really need the money that much what will you do if you get a returns case?

Message 17 of 39
See Most Recent

Did the restriction kick in after you cancelled the order that was damaged during packing?

Also, I've just realised that my payment holds were instituted by PalPal, not eBay, because I started selling in 2019.  In those days, chargebacks and disputes were PayPal's problem - not eBay's.

Message 18 of 39
See Most Recent

Oh, different account 🙂

Message 19 of 39
See Most Recent

Cool mate, good to hear you got the money eventually. Is so strange that they've done this to me after 3-4 months of unrestricted selling. 

Message 20 of 39
See Most Recent