Samsung Galaxy S5 or IPhone?

Has anyone got either of these and, if so, are they good, are youpleased or disappointed with them?

I'm just about to renew my phone and can't decide between these two.

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

ive not got either

but does one come in purple

and which has the better camera?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Gina and leoleoleo  may be abe to  help more

not sure if the galaxy is what Gina had with  battery problems, think shes working atm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

OH has Iphone and loves it, son has S5 and loves it, I have a Galaxy mini and love it. I think it all depends on what you want a phone for.

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

Since modern smart phones are a total mystery to me, I asked son in law - he is in charge of deciding what phones vodafone sell.

He says that it does depend on how long you want to keep the phone for. The i-phone is not the most durable, if you use it a lot and charge it a lot the case wears badly and is liable to breaking at the charging socket. Also if it is used a lot, the battery ceases to hold the charge, and cannot be replaced without sending it to apple. The i-phone is also very "power hungry" so needs frequent charging.

He says that it depends on how you want to use it - the facetime app that allows video-phone conversations with other i-phones and i-pads is far superior to any other internet based video-phone system (such as skype). There are probably more apps for the i-phone than for any other make of phone.

Both he and daughter have recently ditched i-phones in favour of the samsung - both say that the samsung is easier to use, and that there is no noticable difference in picture quality.

If you have any specific questions I will happily ask daughter and son-in-law for you.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Thank you everyone, that's a great help.  The bloke in the shop said the Samsung is by far

the better phone but I thought I'd ask incase he's on commission for selling Samsungs or something!

Towery, no, neither appear to come in purple (sadly!), the Samsung comes in blue, black, beige and

white and the i-phone comes in allsorts of colours - yellow, green, blue, white, red, black and grey/silvery colour.

The Samsung appears to have a better camera as it's 16 mp compared to the i-phone's 8. 

Thanks for your help again everyone.

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

I used an iPhone from 2008 to 2012 and loved it.  Had the Iphone 3S, 4 and 4S with no issues at all.

Charged up every night and used for both work and pleasure so I was using about 75% of the battery every day.

Thousands of apps in the app store and very happy.

Upgrade due in October 2012 so thought I would try the Samsung Galaxy S4 after reading all the blurb.  (I am a computer technician by trade so not averse to geekdom).

What a nightmare - battery did not last all day, some apps I rely on not available, phone kept locking up and needed a hard reboot to get going again, the list goes on.

Got the phone replaced by my provider twice but still had to many glitches to be happy with the phone.

Given an early upgrade because of the problems and got an iPhone 5S 3 months ago.

Happy days - it just works and does everything I need.

From now on it is only Apple for me.  More reliable and the tech support and backup is second to none.  (and it is a freephone number if you need any help from Apple as well).

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

It really depends what you enjoy using on your phone the most!

Samsungs are usually great camera wise, and have always had nice bright screens..

you can get lots of apps on android, and they are great, but sometimes glitchy on updates etc.

For me, on a high end phone, its apple all the way.. easy, intuitive and compact...  they synchronise easily with other apple products and have lots of other products for that matter...

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

PS.. if you are going for Apple..

get the 5S ...

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

If you decide to go for an Apple phone, wait, the new version will be out in a couple of months with a bigger screen

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

I have a power save app thingy on my Samsung and the battery lasts at least 4 days if I am just texting or phoneing, and if I am using the internet then it lasts between 2 - 3 days.  I don't have any apps running, just turn them on when I need them that way they arn't sucking up the power.  No purple ones I have a blue one but in the right light it looks purple and I have a purple case.  I love it, son loves it and he has had 3 different I phones.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

Well I'm supposed to have made my decision by now as Hubby's business are

supposed to be ordering them today.  I think I'll go for the Samsung on account

of the camera being the best and I've already got a Samsung tablet so might

have some idea how things work on the phone (though I've had the tablet a year

and haven't worked a lot of it out yet!).

The phone I've got at the moment is a Sony Ericsson Xperia and I think I must

be the only person in the world to have one as nobody else seems to have heard

of it!  It's only just over two years old though so someone out there must have one.

I've been very pleased with it, though the battery doesn't last long now.

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

xperia.. yep. Sony are good too!
Anyway.. you will probably like the Samsung.. though I think they are rather large now!
expect to see lots of lovely jubbly pictures.....
Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Apple have sued Samsung about 40 times for patent infringement on their iPhone.

Apple have recently won the last case, resulting in Samsung having to pay out about $US2 billion...

I wouldn't on principle buy anything made by Samsung as I've used Apple products since the 80's. 

Samsung's CEO is quite proud of the fact that his company steals other peoples designs/patents!

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

ive a sony experia e. so does my neighbur and a nephew

i was bought for me

im not keen on the  battery life, nuy maybr i need yo learn how to turn off a few more apps  lol

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

Didn't know that Ihasa, I must admit. I don't agree with blatant stealing of another's designs, however they are all going to be producing more-or-less the same stuff to keep up with other and be in competition. It's not right though.
Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent