Cilla

Did anyone watch this last night? I did, thought it was a bit slow in places; not sure I'll be watching the other two episodes.

Message 1 of 41
See Most Recent
40 REPLIES 40

Cilla

I think it was a very exciting era! Especially for fashion & music, very raw & unlike now with all the tech stuff they did have to play their instruments .cant say I was a fan of hers but I did love her Liverpool lullaby , she also proved you didn't have to be a stereotypical beauty, just an ordinary lass doing her thing & it worked!.

**********Sam**********
Message 21 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

I defer to my elders here (so that's a slap from Maggie, sorry Malc), but she was exactly of her time.  Cilla had a big voice, but it did nothing for me.  There was no such thing as teenagerdom prior to then - you were just a replica of your parents until the revolution.

My Auntie Maureen was very glam but was stilll a teenager at school when I was born. I remember Bobby's girl and Susan Maughan and the big sticky out frocks, and the other early ones I can remember her playing were Helen Shapiro Walking Back to Happiness and Elvis (Rock a Hula Rock B. side I Can't Help Falling in Love With You).  I'd have been about 6 and I had the job (on a Fri night) of standing on the stool and backcombing her hair as high as I could get it and spraying it until I was nearly gassed, lol.

It was wonderment to a small child to see this massive birds nest being transformed into a thing of beauty.  Then the clothes, oh the clothes, she used to stand on the same stool and have me pin up her hems and then the same when she was chopping inches off skirts.  And the shoes, oh joy, as Dairy says, she had a pair, navy slingback with a white pointed toe I coveted so badly.  She also taught us to jive and then to do the twist.

That will be my lasting memory of her, Maureen, clip clopping up the road to get the bus in her high heels, happy, happy days Woman Happy  She once went out with a guy who had one of those bubble cars that opened at the front, great fun.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 22 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

I was 10 in 1965 and my sister 10yrs older than me. I would pinch her Beatles Monthly and read it before her, it would drive her mad.

I got a white dress that was divided black and white panels, and a pair of shoes to match when I was 11. I remember going the cinema to see The Sound of Music with my friend and her mum and wearing this outfit. Oh I felt so grown up!!!

My sister used to go the Cavern in her lunch hour quite often. I think it was a fantastic era and I wish I'd been older to enjoy much more.

Photobucket

Message 23 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Rainy, in my other life I interview local authors for an Internet TV channel, and one chap - Derek Webb - was not only the writer of the book for which I interviewed him, but quite an all-rounder - amongst other work he wrote "Call Me Dusty", a show which toured provincial theatres. Now I never met Dusty, but believe me, it was a privilege to meet Derek, such a passionate fan and so knowledgeable on his subject. http://www.derekwebb.co.uk/gpage.html
Message 24 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Well Captain B. I'm sorry but now I have to come visit you.  Not just because you're lovely and warm bonkers and cuddly and bake great cakes.  Because now I can say 'I sat next to the sister of a girl who went to the Cavern at lunchtimes'  *sighs*  and saw them.  Nnight all, sleep well x.

Message 25 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Oh Mouse thank you so much.  Too tired tonight and off to bed but will check tomorrow.  See I knew you were speshul and edumicated.  It will be a pleasure to decorate your drawers Woman LOLheart  I really do listen to her CDs, they're always out.

Message 26 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Sadly or not I was too young to take it all in. My father used to listen to Jim Reeves but I can't really remember any music until the Osmonds and David Cassidy. I do remember sitting up and watching the moon landing though I was 9.

Night night Rainy.
Message 27 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Rainy, if I have any glitter, it is because you touched me, and the stardust transferred.
Message 28 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Saw her on stage when she was just starting out in London.  She was GOOD.  Her voice isn't the best,, her looks weren't the best but her stage presence was awesome.

Her music and TV shows were never to my taste but boy did that programme show hor far forwards and backwards we have travelled since I was a teenager.

Message 29 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

I feel asleep as well.Never mind can see the other two.Trisha:

Message 30 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

OMG !! what a lovely vid picture !!--Sticky out frocks--remember going on holiday one year and my sis had one case just filled with petticoats--can also remember gils threading a sort of stiff wite through the hems of skirts--made them stand out OK but were not a good idea to sit down !! Your Auntie Maureen sounds a very cool lady--those beehives -how-did they ever manage to wash their hair ?? Isetta bubble cars !! You could actually lift them into a parking space Many thanks for taking me back !!
Message 31 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

well come on then Rainy, I'll lock OH up in the attic and we can get all the records out and have a ball, well I'll get OH out of the attic to make the coffee heee heeee.....

my old bosses wife used to go the cavern a lot, she knew the beatles too. I bet she was in there the same time as my sister but they never knew each other! My bil, still has his membership card for the cavern!

thankyou for the nice comments Rainy....I'll away and knock up a nice BIG cake for your arrival.

Photobucket

Message 32 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Those sticky out frocks & net petticoats are back in fashion around here, they are gorgeous . There was a wedding party in the Castle grounds & the women were all wearing them & the shoes as well, trouble is if you're not tall you tend to look like a puff ball.lol.
But I have to say they looked lovely all of them, but didn't think much to the guys fashion of that era!.

**********Sam**********
Message 33 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

I agree saasher, I think the prom style dresses are lovely, but you need a middle (ie a waist) and mine has gone, dunno where, lol Woman Happy

Capt B. once I get myself sorted I'll be right there and thank you for you know what heart  Couldn't sleep last night and came across some fabric and made one little thing for the Halloween swap.  Not sure about it though Woman Frustrated

Message 34 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

I'm just waiting to watch the last episode.  I managed to catch up on the first two.

The young actress is terrific and she can sing!  What's the betting they go and make a musical now - they make musicals about everything - there was even one about Simon Cowell & The X Factor - got lousy reviews, don't know if it is still running.

Message 35 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

All settled down and ready to watch here , have really enjoyed it so far

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 36 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Whilst still good viewing, I thought this last episode was a bit rushed.  Did think that Brian Epstein was terrifically and sensitively portrayed.  He was only 34, and the Beatles were a bit lost without him for a while.

Cilla is like a national institution now, love her or hate her.  

Message 37 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

I enjoyed all three and I would have been interested in another one for her next 30 or so years.

She's getting a bit OTT now like Brucey did (and all of them really as they get old) but I like her.

Message 38 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

Agree--it finished far too abruptly--think Sheridan Smith deserves every award going !! AWESOME !!
Message 39 of 41
See Most Recent

Cilla

And Aneurin Barnard, the guy who played Bobby Willis also played Richard 111 in The White Queen

Photobucket
Message 40 of 41
See Most Recent