The Linux Distro Thread (maybe)

ej-solutions
Contributor
Thought I'd start this one off, rather than continue on another thread.

As a quick catch up for others:

Have a look at Unetbootin, as a means to try out different versions of Linux, without producing numerous coasters (unwanted CDs).
I haven't tried the method of installing to hard drive, only the USB flash drive method (so far).

(c) E Jonsen
Just skimming the surface

Opinions/guidance expressed are intended to benefit the reader (mostly) but no responsibility should be assumed for the accuracy and no warranty is implied/expressed or given - so eBay may pull this post
Demised responsibility
Message 1 of 1,540
See Most Recent
1,539 REPLIES 1,539

ej-solutions
Contributor
Otherego: Puppy was a pain to setup for wireless. Once the OS was rebooted and I created a small (64Mb) save space, I got on better.
I chose Setup:Network Wizard and selected the wireless network card. From there, clicked on WPA2 (the encryption that I use, choose appropriately), then Scan. Select your network, then Advanced, followed by your network key.
It took a few attempts, but this is written in Puppy, Seamonkey browser on a wireless network - booted from a flash drive, with the previously mentioned software 🙂
Time to put some add-ons onto Seamonkey to stop those flamon' feeBay ads. 😉

EJ

(c) E Jonsen

Opinions/guidance expressed are intended to benefit the reader (mostly) but no responsibility should be assumed for the accuracy and no warranty is implied/expressed or given - so eBay may pull this post
Demised responsibility
Message 2 of 1,540
See Most Recent

I used Seamonkey for a while a bit back and found it would take quite a few Firefox addons. Have a try.

Click on logo or me for free Apps, Utilities and Antivirus Removal Tools
Message 3 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
Done and dusted - onto another Distro now :-)

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 4 of 1,540
See Most Recent

Thanks for the suggestions, ej. I'll have a go a little later.

Great idea, starting the new thread. There seems to be an increasing interest in Linux, and it would be useful to have a common meeting-point for queries.

Even for a computer "newbie" it's a lot of fun, and offers useful practical options for members of an internet-based community like e-bay's.

I managed to add NoScript and Addblock Plus to Seamonkey with no problems, but it wouldn't accept Flashblock. Yet.
Message 5 of 1,540
See Most Recent

There is a release of Flashblock specifically for Seamonkey.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/433

Message 6 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
I use an RSS feed on my toolbar to http://distrowatch.com/ - loads of info. and I stumbled upon (sic) a distro that specifically mentions EeePC (though can't remember which one :-p)
Not sure about Seamonkey, or any benefits over 'raw' Firefox. If only Opera would catch up on the add-ons :-)

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 7 of 1,540
See Most Recent

countess_vlad
OMG this place is full of geeks.

:-p

Runs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hangman images and links to a few youtubes & games.
Message 8 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
Gentoox (media centre), so I suppose Gentoo must be worth a try ;-)

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 9 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
C_V: :^O

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 10 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
For Otherego: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=15

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 11 of 1,540
See Most Recent

Wannabe geeks, too!

We really appreciate the help, all of you.
Message 12 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
Getting close to Nirvana now, using the aforementioned utility, I can see how easy it is to make up a multi-boot Linux Distro Flash Drive :-)

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 13 of 1,540
See Most Recent

nazmatazz42
And the odd joker as well:

A woman goes to her doctor's office, to
discuss a strange development.
She has discovered a green spot on the
inside of each thigh. They won't
wash off, they won't scrape off, and
they seem to be getting worse.

The doctor assures her he'll get to the
bottom of the problem, tells her not to worry
until he gets the tests back.

A few days later, the woman's phone
rings.. Much to her relief, it's the doctor.
She immediately begs to know what's
causing the spots. The doctor says, 'You're perfectly
healthy--there' s no problem. But I'm wondering, was
your boyfriend that Harley guy in the waiting room?'

The woman stammers, 'Why, Yes, but how
did you know?'

Tell him his earrings aren't real gold.

See y'all later. 😉
Message 14 of 1,540
See Most Recent

Well, that's done for our serious, geekish Linux thread. What don't people understand about "On A Lighter Note"

Message 15 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
Yep, didn't even read. Damn C,Q&A posters! X-(

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 16 of 1,540
See Most Recent

*_munchkin_*
Puppy Linux worked fine for me, although if I lowered the screen resolution, the bottom bar was off screen, and opened SeaMonkey pages would also be off the screen.

Basically the screen would be cropped and not resized.

I'll give it another try now.

Message 17 of 1,540
See Most Recent

*_munchkin_*
Puppy Linux works fine, and the network connection is easy to establish. The only problem so far, is that the screen resolution is stuck at 1600 x 1200, although I chose a lower resolution from the xorg setup menu?

Message 18 of 1,540
See Most Recent

Last year I was using Mandriva, which I found to be a very good distro with an excellent GUI incorporating Compiz. As I run a server though, I changed over to CentOS (server edition with no GUI) which is more appropriate. Having to run without a GUI has taught me a fair bit about Linux.

In both cases though, Webmin has proved an invaluable tool and I wouldn't want to run Linux without it. For those who don't know Webmin is a browser-accessible administration panel. It allows you to do all sorts of tasks on your Linux installation including disk and partition management, networking, package install, uninstall and update, setting up cron jobs and boot jobs and hardware management. It has a traditional tree based file manager and makes Samba admin quite easy. There's lots more too and you don't need to be sudo-ing this and su-ing that all the time.

Message 19 of 1,540
See Most Recent

ej-solutions
Contributor
For purists, Webmin is a "no-no" due to security concerns but I have to say it's real handy 😉 Generally, there are a few gotchas with it though, so care is needed (for example: mail handling with openSuse, if I recall correctly).

(c) E Jonsen

Demised responsibility
Message 20 of 1,540
See Most Recent