UK Community Update

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi Everyone!

Today we launch the updated eBay community in the UK. 

As you will have noticed, the eBay community looks different. We have launched the updated design of the community with a few new features:

• Mobile experience enhanced
  • Reduced load time
  • Quicker navigation through the site

Of course, all your previous posts, messages and comments are still where they were before. The changes to the community are focused on the look and feel, to enhance your experience and allow mobile users to fully utilise the community, too.

If you have any questions about the new eBay community, feel free to ask below in this discussion board.

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 1 of 237
See Most Recent
236 REPLIES 236

Re: UK Community Update

Katie just to add i have a random glitch.   When i come to the boards sometimes i do not have the notification bell or the envelope in relation to messages.       Hopefully this random glitch will right itself like a lot of Ebay glitches usually do.

Message 201 of 237
See Most Recent

Katie, it's not the threads we want in "newest to oldest" order, it's the posts that should be in that order.

To put it in simple language, no matter how old a thread is, when someone posts on it, that thread goes to the top of the forum page and also it should show who the last poster was. Also.... when a thread has more than one page (like this one) there should be a page count below the thread title. We don't need half the first post there.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 202 of 237
See Most Recent

katie@ebay wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you for your post.

The threads should be appearing in order of newest to oldest. This is set this way across the community unless your personal preferences on the account are different. You can double check these preferences here

The sort options on the home pages of each board will default to most recent and when in a thread it will default to Newest to Oldest. Is this what you are seeing on your side?

I want to make sure I am fully understanding your request.

Thanks,

Katie 

That's the problem. Until this huge mess was created, you would go to a particular board and the threads would be listed. At the top would be the thread that had the most recent reply. Every time a thread received a comment, it was bumped back to the top of the displayed list of threads.

But now, when a new thread is posted it initially appears at the top of the list until another new thread is posted. But when a thread gets a reply, it is not bumped back to the top. It continues to drop down the list. This is what we are complaining about.

It's standard practice on a discussion forum that new replies bump a thread to the top. Otherwise, all discussions just die off within a few hours - which is what is now happening on this forum. Until this change, there were some ongoing discussions which were being added to each day as the subject matter was current and relevant. Now they've dropped down to page god knows what because they were started days or weeks ago so they're not "recently posted". So now no-one can see them any more to continue the discussion.

On a forum which is just for quick Q&As it could be argued that the sort order of the board should be the most recently posted question as those types of forum are not designed for ongoing discussions. So it may be appropriate for the Answer Centre. I don't know as I rarely go there as I can't post. (This id was supposedly added to the list of responders several years ago by one of your predecessors but it has never worked and they didn't know how to change it so just gave up.)

But on a discussion board, it is unheard of and totally ridiculous to display the board threads in any order other than with the most recently replied to at the top.

New reply equals bumped to the top of the list. That is the most important correction that needs to be made to this crazy mess.

Message 203 of 237
See Most Recent

Explained perfectly. As a forum for discussion it is now effectively extinct in it's current format with or without the pointless empty white space, for which eBay IT have an endless supply it seems.

Who's the one with the grin on his face. Says he's gonna save the human race
He laughs a lot as he climbs to fame. What's his name?
Guru Banana
Message 204 of 237
See Most Recent

FORUM.jpg

katie@ebay Here's an illustration of what is needed. Most Recent Reply also needs to be the default sort order.

Message 205 of 237
See Most Recent

Untitled.png

Message 206 of 237
See Most Recent

meant to say it's available on this thread, so why isn't it available on all the boards?

katie@ebay 

Message 207 of 237
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a dinosaur - I don't see the need for a smartphone, but have to have one for work, and it's the most usless thing I've ever seen for accessing web pages - can someone explain why making the pages full of white space makes it better for phones?

Message 208 of 237
See Most Recent

On the Round Table the Sort Topics its "Sort topic by start date". If you click that you get a banner "Success! Posts sorted as per topic start date." 

Then that option changes to "Sort by latest post date".

Click that and you get another banner "Success! Posts sorted as per topic latest post date."

The thing is, I can't see any difference on the board at all. What's the point of it?

Live long and prosper.

Message 209 of 237
See Most Recent

Katie,

This new layout is extremely unpopular, and extremely user-unfriendly.
Can you please give people the option of using the old version of the Community Boards?

Message 210 of 237
See Most Recent

Do what i have have done.....given up with the boards in their present format 🙂

Message 211 of 237
See Most Recent

When will the system allow screen grab images to be uploaded using the insert image option actually work???

This whole process of upgrading the discussion boards has been very amateurishl;y undertaken - being cynical they don't directly generate income, if they did the system would have collapsed by now.

Lastly contrary to an earlier response to the same question, the search function, eg" Hermes", still produces results in a random date order, doesn't provide any useful info that gives any  idea which item to view, all state  "210 views" or 210 replies".  It really is crass!

Message 212 of 237
See Most Recent

One thing we all need to remember is that Katie isn't the "one" who has formulated this fiasco, she's the poor unfortunate Community Manager who has to face the baying crowd and attempt to communicate between us all and convey to those who think that this over-complicated, virtually unworkable system is "better" than what went before and that we, the users, find it way beyond awful. 

Somehow, she has the unenviable job of getting something sorted out and convincing those who've developed this fiasco that it isn't workable in it's present form and that although they might think it's "cool" and "great" having to jump through half a dozen hoops backwards to see or do something we were able to do with a click or two, it's proving to be losing support not gaining or even mantaining it.

That it can be not only seen to be so, the overwhelming criticism and lack of posting proves it to be so and of all the things that have been "improved" over the many years and have proved to be unpopular, this fiasco is the absolute worst.

Whoever developed this system needs to be reminded that the users of all the forums actually act as unpaid customer support and if the customer support falls down, it will lead to the users of the buying and selling platform going elsewhere.

Live long and prosper.

Message 213 of 237
See Most Recent

While I try to have some sympathy for Katie, we should all also be aware of what we are dealing with here.

Is it a coincidence that each new Community Manager looks younger and (with apologies to Katie) more vulnerable than the last?  Of course not, senior management knows exactly what they are doing and who will get least "stick" when they implement this sort of outrage.

Is it only me having an overwhelming sense of deja-vu?  How many times have we seen this scenario play-out?   Without warning or consultation something very unpopular is wheeled out, "Poor Katie" (change name as appropriate to whichever outrage comes to your mind) is pushed out to take the flack and helpfully mediate and mitigate the changes to a point.   But once the point is reached where the managers have already decided that all the concessions they are willing to allow is reached, the manager disappears and no more discussion takes place.  Nor do more changes.

It's all just window dressing.

Another poster (probably on this thread but I'm not even going to try to reference their reply) remarked how this layout is the same as the one used by .com.  So this is not some new invention just for .uk, it's tried and tested.  I'll let someone who knows more about the US boards comment on their usefulness and how much discussion takes place on them.

One thing I do know (because of recent problems with logging into paypal) is that the PP boards also look remarkably similar to this new layout (another coincidence perhaps?).   I will make a few observations on those boards.  

I've never seen a statement or answer made by an official PP rep.  all replies I've seen have been made by "volunteer advisers".   All those answers ever seem to consist of is repeating whatever PP has previously said in its announcements.

An alarming number of threads never get a single reply, often because they hurtle off the first page so quickly.   Trying to find a thread that I've replied to is more often than not impossible unless I get a Notification to take me back to it.   Of the threads that do get some replies most never get into double figures.  Perhaps the same can be said of the US boards?

I can see we will end up with more of the same. 

Message 214 of 237
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Katie, I wanted to give these new unimproved boards a good trial period before I commented on them, and now that I have got used to them they are just as bad as the day I first saw them.

They are  clumbsy, clunky dificult to navigate and absolutely dreadful, sorry if you don't like it but that is the way it is.

Message 215 of 237
See Most Recent

@theelench wrote:

While I try to have some sympathy for Katie, we should all also be aware of what we are dealing with here.

Is it a coincidence that each new Community Manager looks younger and (with apologies to Katie) more vulnerable than the last?  Of course not, senior management knows exactly what they are doing and who will get least "stick" when they implement this sort of outrage.

Is it only me having an overwhelming sense of deja-vu?  How many times have we seen this scenario play-out?   Without warning or consultation something very unpopular is wheeled out, "Poor Katie" (change name as appropriate to whichever outrage comes to your mind) is pushed out to take the flack and helpfully mediate and mitigate the changes to a point.   But once the point is reached where the managers have already decided that all the concessions they are willing to allow is reached, the manager disappears and no more discussion takes place.  Nor do more changes.

======================================================

I did ask one of the many community managers who have visited these boards how he felt "being treated with the same level of contempt by ebay management as we buyers and sellers were" .

His lack of reply was the best answer possible .

Message 216 of 237
See Most Recent

CD, I'm aware that Katie is not to blame for the crazy new discussion boards, but she appears to be passing on our views. 

I don't think I was 'baying' at her.

Message 217 of 237
See Most Recent

After posting, I hoped you'd not think that but I replied on your post because you mentioned her that's all.

Live long and prosper.

Message 218 of 237
See Most Recent

I am sure Katie is passing on our views .

But do you really believe that the inkwenkwe ephosakeleyo responsible

for this farce cannot at least view the mess that he has made .

Even better could he pluck up the courage to post on here and explain the logic to this farce .

Message 219 of 237
See Most Recent

1@rainbowtrax wrote:

On a forum which is just for quick Q&As it could be argued that the sort order of the board should be the most recently posted question as those types of forum are not designed for ongoing discussions. So it may be appropriate for the Answer Centre. I don't know as I rarely go there as I can't post. (This id was supposedly added to the list of responders several years ago by one of your predecessors but it has never worked and they didn't know how to change it so just gave up.)

But on a discussion board, it is unheard of and totally ridiculous to display the board threads in any order other than with the most recently replied to at the top.

New reply equals bumped to the top of the list. That is the most important correction that needs to be made to this crazy mess.

Yes, exactly. That applies even to social media which are just for social intercourse, posturing and ego massage. But how much more we need this for boards to which people bring specific problems!

Before this great disaster we saw several buyers wit transactions which looked like costing them hundreds of pounds, and sometimes the early advice was inadequate or discouraging. Have you noticed how many fewer replies threads are getting, before they fade out of sight? Buyers need to see replies criticised and a concensus reached.

We often see people saying online that eBay is only interested in fees collected on a crooked or unfulfilled transaction. But we can all see that it doesn't take long for eBay's financial welbeing suffers far moredeom the fees they lose if a buyer, and his friends and relations, give up buying because of a bad transaction.

Titles for threads should be chosen carefully, and in the past it was quite sufficient to see the titles.So if thed idea is to help users of the pocket-sized screen, what on earth is the point of filling it with white space and the beginning of the op[ening post?

Another feature which has disappeared is the number of posts a member has made. That is sometimes very informative. It can still be reached by clicking on his  user name, bbut the ability to see his recent posts can't. That is how I would normslly have found my way back to this thread, on a board I hardly ever seem but now that is impossible.

I am reminded of Jack London's story of Soubienkoff (sp?) the Russian fur poacher in the days of Russian Alaska., who is captured by Indians and sees several comrades, men he knows to be tougher than himself, die in degraded terror under torture.

When his turn comes up, he says "All right, but it is a pity about the medicine." When questioned, he tells the vhief that he knows the secret of a medicien that would have made him invulnerable to blows. The chief wants it, and Soubienkoff drives a hard bargain, for a house, goods, fine food, and the chief's daughter in marriage. For several weeks he roams the woods, under heavy escord, collecting ingredients. At last he tells thie chief it is ready, and the chief should rub some on his neck... But the chief isn't so easily fooled. He makes Soubienkoff test it. A huge brave raises his heavy, razor-sharp chopper - and chops Soubienkoff's head clean off.

The point is, people are thinking "How can he get out of this one?",  and he knows he can't get out. He wants a few enjoyable days, a quick death, and the humiliation of the chief.  Perhaps eB ay doesn't wan t what we think. Perhaps they want to shorten and cool down discussion on the boards  - which can indeed get overheated at times. But the means to deal with that did exist, and I believe still does.

Message 220 of 237
See Most Recent