Chinese Sellers with UK addresses?

how come there is at present so many Chinese sellers on here who are allowed to put their despatch location as here in the UK?

I've found loads of items which are undercutting most UK sellers and they all show their location as in the UK but then have their registered company address details as in Hong Kong.

its pretty clear that these sellers dont have offices in the uk and are just putting this to stop them being filtered out when someone clicks on show uk only.

surely there should be some check done by ebay to ensure that if a company claims to be in a country the address needs to be verified..

Message 1 of 535
See Most Recent
534 REPLIES 534

Yes
If they want to be respectable. Their brand is getting reached. Amazons one getting stronger.

You can no longer trust it someone is selling front our own county and thus the buyer could get in trouble for not paying the appropriate stamp duty and excise.

So yes very much so….

Sent from my iPhone
Message 461 of 535
See Most Recent

So when something you need in a week for a party doesn’t arrive

Just don’t use that seller again…..

So what happened when the birthday present doesn’t arrive then you try and return it but can’t as the overseas seller won’t respond anymore.

Then what happens when out of 20 stockists only one or two are actually genuine.

It’s poor

All these answers making it actually worse not better.

Will stick to Amazon and proper sellers. EBay just a cowboy shoot out these days. Pity. Was becoming decent.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 462 of 535
See Most Recent

I think you've replied to the wrong post?

Message 463 of 535
See Most Recent

I hardly ever use Ebay now because of all the China sellers, mainly because of the delayed delivery and its usually just junk.

Message 464 of 535
See Most Recent

I know what you mean my friend

Mr irie Akposheri
Message 465 of 535
See Most Recent

Overseas Sellers are allowed to sell items which are showing as located in UK storage facilities ...  takes a few taps/clicks to quickly check =

1. Item Location  ... seen under Postages in listings ... 

2.Seller Location ... shown in Feedback profile ... 

3.Country of eBay Registration  ... seen by clicking 'Items for sale /View listings' links to Seller information in left column.

If either the Seller/Buyer is Based or Registered outside the UK, it will trigger an additional VAT fee as per >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771&st=12&pos=1&query=...

Report Item location misrepresentation here >

Item location policy | eBay

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Announcements/IMPORTANT-ACTION-FOR-ITEM-LOCATION-MISREPRESENTATION-P...

Message 466 of 535
See Most Recent

Unfortunately, you can file reports till you pass out - it won't change anything - the option is only to make you feel good, not to change anything.

Message 467 of 535
See Most Recent

@sasdrivesuk wrote:

Unfortunately, you can file reports till you pass out - it won't change anything - the option is only to make you feel good, not to change anything.

If not filing reports then you can be certain nothing will change.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 468 of 535
See Most Recent

@elitegiftsltd wrote:

@sasdrivesuk wrote:

If not filing reports then you can be certain nothing will change.

At one time when you filed a report you got a message thanking you for reporting  whatever it was you reported and the reported item number or naughty seller.

That way you could keep track of the item or the seller .

These days ebay does not send an email . That shows how much they are interested in protecting the public .

Message 469 of 535
See Most Recent

While ebay make money from Chinese sellers they wont block them.

Recently bought 2 different items from China and neither got here in time so got refunded twice !

I find my customers get upset if items take mor ethat 3 days to arrive so they are going to be pretty upset if it takes weeks or even months to arrive.

I bought a multimeter from China and after a month it hadnt arrived.

So bought one locally.

6 months down the line and postman att he door with a parcel.

It was original multimeter !

Message 470 of 535
See Most Recent

They use bonded warehousing and eBay endorses it even when they break their delivery times in my case by 12days and eBay refuse the refunds even when i am ebay seller and castrate me on late deliveries by massive extra charges. Except chinese sellers are exempted from any additonal charges compared to uk sellers as eBay thinks bad selling practices in china are the norm. Perhaps we need a new eBay equivelent!

https://www.digitalcommerce360.com/2017/02/23/ebay-partnership-china-focuses-cross-border-e-commerce...

Message 471 of 535
See Most Recent

I sell on shopify now and rarely buy from eBay 

Message 472 of 535
See Most Recent

I tend to buy more on the other E as can find what I want quickly 

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”
Message 473 of 535
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

The main  reason its unfair is they put location UK  ie  London Birmingham etc.   China sellers ???

Message 474 of 535
See Most Recent

They will have a UK office address or a holding address in UK.  Reasonably unfair as eBay does tell you that the items you sell must be at your registered address.

Message 475 of 535
See Most Recent

Apart from answering a thread that's over 6 years old -

“Reasonably unfair as eBay does tell you that the items you sell must be at your registered address.”

eBay don't say that.

Message 476 of 535
See Most Recent

@lookaftereachother wrote:

They will have a UK office address or a holding address in UK.  Reasonably unfair as eBay does tell you that the items you sell must be at your registered address.

Ebay have never said that.

There are sellers who will store products with a fulfilment service - not at their registered address. 

Plenty of larger businesses have a warehouse - the registered address may well be their accountants or home address. 

I store 90% plus of my items in a storage unit (as do a number of other sellers). That storage unit is not the company registered address (I've no room on the driveway for 2 x 20 foot containers).

No site is going to hamstring itself by requiring all items to be at the seller's registered address. 

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 477 of 535
See Most Recent

It did used to say that I've just checked, changed last year... also didn't realise their was a time limit to replying to posts as per previous as I thought this was community for help etc but obviously not!!

Message 478 of 535
See Most Recent

"It did used to say that I've just checked, changed last year."

Please give the links to that to support your statement that eBay said - "that the items you sell must be at your registered address".  and that this was eBay rule until they changed it last year.

I brought up the fact that the question you were answering was over 6 years old because of the confusion it could cause.

You say   "I thought this was community for help" It certainly is and that's why information / advice must be correct and that's why I ask you for a link, so that information can be updated.

Message 479 of 535
See Most Recent

That's new policy which says it in so many words

Message 480 of 535
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: