Postage

Hi everyone.

I've looked for an item that I want to buy. Found two.

One it's an auction, and the listing states that is a "collection in person only". I've contacted the seller asking if he would consider posting the item. He replied that if I was going to bid, he would consider posting but, he said that I should be the one taking care of the issue, paying for it, and sending him the postage labels through email. How is that done? Can I do it within eBay, or must I do it using RoyalMail or other couriers? (I haven't won the auction yet, but I had the feeling that he expects a high bid) If I eventually win the auction, and the bid is below his expectations, in case he changes his mind, can he make me pay my bid and say that I need to go and collect the item in person? (The item weighs 11.5 kg, and the voyage would cost 8x the item price... not good!)

In regard to the second item, the situation is pretty much the same, the difference is that it's not an auction, but the seller told me that I should take care of the postage, pay for it and send him the postage labels (he would only take care of the packaging). Can I do this within eBay, and how would I do it, paying and getting the labels when there's no postage fee in the listing? Or again, must I use other couriers outside eBay, in which case it won't be covered if anything goes wrong?

Can someone please help me?

Thank you so much.

RL

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Postage

Hi I would post this on the Discussion Forum for Buying as you are more likely to get the correct advice,.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Postage

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

You should respect these selllers' decisions not to offer delivery on their items.

Some items are just not worth the cost and hassle of delivery; an item that will cost eight times the selling price to deliver is a very good example! It isn't worth the risk of selling. Suppose a buyer claimed that it wasn't as described in some way - the seller would have to refund the whole delivery cost - and pay the same again if they wanted the item to be returned!

eBay's money back guarantee policy is perfectly clear. For the guarantee to apply, it must be paid for through eBay checkout and collected in person by the buyer. If the seller agrees to post it, it will be covered by the MBG but the seller must amend the invoice so that postage is added and paid through eBay checkout (as eBay will charge fees on the total, including the p&p cost!)

If you pay for the item and agree with the seller to send a friend, arrange a courier or any other form of collection or delivery yourself item will not be covered by eBay's money back guarantee.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent