Issues receiving my tax return!

Strange one this but after realising (in about July!) that I hadnt received my paper return, I called HMRC and after 15 minutes arguing/shouting/swearing at a machine, was put through to a proper human being.

They confirmed a full return was sent out in April/May, checked my address and said they would send again.

Coming back from a long holiday I fully expected it to be awaiting me in September but nope.

So called again yesterday and was eventually told that my return HAD been sent twice - but both times to a completely random address 25 miles away that I had never heard of, yet alone been associated with in any way.

The rest of their records were correct in every way but he could not explain where that address had come from!  It is a little worrying that someone now has my name, UTR, NINO and gawd knows what else, everything apart from my address it seems!

So was wondering if this had happened to anyone else?  My filing deadline has now been extended by nearly 3 months given the circumstances...

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried looking up the address? It sounds very strange, I hope it went to an honest household that either tried to return it, or have shredded it. 

Sorry I couldn't help, but hope you get it sorted. slight_smile

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Well hopefully one will now plop onto my doormat in the next week or so.

I could find the address easily enough but don't really see the point tbh.  Unless of course people there are dodgy and trying to steal identities maybe?

Might be worth passing to one of my friends still in the force for intel I guess, just in case they have anything else on it.

EDIT - seems there are 2 businesses running from that address, neither of which I have ever heard of lol.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Hmm, one is a company employing 80 people - doubt its dodgy lol.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

It should be ok if it is a company, I just don't understand why they didn't return the letter to the Tax office, unless they thought it was an employer. 

Sounds like it might be easier to go to the office and pick it up. You wouldn't expect the Tax office to make that mistake. I can understand your frustration. If it was the other way round, you might get a fine for being late returning it. 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Agreed - will wait and see if its 3rd time lucky first.  At least I dont need to file by the end of this month now!

Might just ring the company accounts dept later and see if they have had any others - just out of curiosity 🙂

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

That is good to hear, and the least they could do for their mistake. 

How long will you give them? I think you have been really patient so far, I would have visited the office by now. grinning

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Visit where, the tax office?!

Shouldn't be any need, and I doubt they can issue them from there - although its been a while since I worked in tax I admit...

Besides, I'm in no hurry to pay it! 😄

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Many years ago I worked for a now abolished council, in a wages office paying various parks staff all over London.

There were two employees with the same first and surnames, different addresses and working in different parks but HMRC got them mixed up several times, sending Notice of Coding and an Attachment of Earnings instructions for the wrong one.

Could one of the companies employ someone with the same name as you?

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

@theelench wrote:

Many years ago I worked for a now abolished council, in a wages office paying various parks staff all over London.

There were two employees with the same first and surnames, different addresses and working in different parks but HMRC got them mixed up several times, sending Notice of Coding and an Attachment of Earnings instructions for the wrong one.

Could one of the companies employ someone with the same name as you?

Would seem to be a likely explanation - living / working close enough to be dealt with by the same tax office / district.  I wonder if he hasn't already completed it and sent it off then and maybe not realised it wasnt for him...

Guess I will know by the size of my tax bill - fingers crossed he might have been due a nice repayment! 😄

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent