BA plane fire on Las Vegas runway

Have you seen the pictures coming from this

One thing that struck Me, was the amount of people who are off the plane

WITH THEIR CARRY ON LUGGAGE

Yes, the large bags on wheels you store in the overhead lockers

If you held me up getting off a plane on fire, by blocking the passage way either getting or carring/pulling these, you would get knocked out

Surely the Cabin staff should have stopped this

Maybe what is needed, is a automatic locking system of the overhead lockers in an emergency

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

You raise a possible valid point al but the engines are not too near the fuel tanks so I guess the pilot allowed people to grab their belongings as probably well organised by cabin crew. Pilot would probably know how much time they had to evacuate. The fire service was there very quickly too as they are parked up on the tarmac.

Many years ago I had a similar experience on a flight from Heathrow to Manchester where the cabin began to fill with smoke just as we were coming in to land at Manchester because one engine had caught fire. We could see the fire engines on the ground following us up the runway. When we landed they got 1st class off first, as Edward Heath was on the flight... luckily there weren't many of us in cattle class so we did exit down the stairs, not the shute. Cabin crew very calm and organised. I think probably the difference was we were in the air, this BA flight was on the ground so more time to grab luggage and evacuate. I my case I didn't have luggage as it was a day return business trip.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

My sister in law used to work in a big supermarket, she told me that a couple of times when the fire alarm went off and they had to evacuate the store, it was very difficult to stop the shoppers taking their trolleys with them.

@lhasa.two wrote:

You raise a possible valid point al but the engines are not too near the fuel tanks so I guess the pilot allowed people to grab their belongings as probably well organised by cabin crew. Pilot would probably know how much time they had to evacuate. The fire service was there very quickly too as they are parked up on the tarmac.

The engines  in the Wings are surrounded by fuel tanks, loaded with fuel especially on take off for a long haul flight

6 mins is a long long time in a plane fire and thats how long it was before Firecrews even started fighting the fire

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

I agree Al, makes my blood pressure boil, you only need to look at how quickely a house fire takes hold, let alone 100 plus people trying to leave an aircraft in a hurry. Two exits, it only takes a couple to panic to cause a jam, how would they take the more infirm into account.

They should bring in a human form of wack a mole for such idiots.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent