timings

Does anyone know how long roughly it would be for a book to be published before it got to a library?

Our libary changed their system back in 2011 and so all data before that was lost and I'm trying to find a book that I cannot remember the name of.

I know it was published before 2011 for sure and I believe I borrowed it in 2010 - a paperback.

All searches for it keep pointing to Sold by Patricia McCormick but I don't think it is that book and the cover isn't right at all.

Does anyone know exactly how that book ends?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

timings

'Sold' had several different covers

this is the 'wiki' write up:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sold_(McCormick_novel)

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

timings

I read that, Meccano and I've since found some more info which makes me even more sure that the book I'm looking for is not that one.

It's really frustrating trying to track down a book you cannot remember either the title or the author of.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

timings

Give us a general  synopsis maybe we've read it!

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

timings

Hang on - I've written it on another website - I'll just try to log in and C&P it.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

timings

The front cover showed a picture of an Asian girl with striking blue-green eyes and mountains (Himalayas) in the background.

The girl escapes from the brothel with the help of an American woman who takes her into her own home and brings her up with her young son.

There is another plot going on with the woman's husband who is Chinese-American, I think posing as an author or journalist who eventually disappears on a mission.

The girl never finds out for sure who her father is but does go on a journey to the north of India/Afganistan? to try and find out.

She eventually takes the rap for the young son who shoots an American friend of the family she goes to bed with.

She goes back to marry an old rich man who had offered to marry her and pay for her to avoid prison.

The book ends in the US with a memorial or recognition service of the work done by the Chinese-American husband who has died in prison in China and the son, now a adult grown man, looks up to see the woman he knew as a young friend in India. 

It spans about 5 decades

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

timings

Sorry, doesn't ring any bells,

good luck on your hunt.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

timings

I've found it

Flash House by Aimee Liu

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent