Gastroenterologist appt - can I have your good wishes please?

Tomorrow I have to see the Gastroenreologist as my blood results have indicated inflammation on two of the different things tested for. Several years ago, I had to have a colonoscopy on the insistence of the most arrogant Gastroenterologist ever; I told him that my Crohns was the best it had been for a long time. But no, he went ahead and the result was that he perforated my bowel in 2 places and I ended up fighting for my life with Faecal Peritonitis and Septicaemia. I was  just going into Septic shock when they did the emergency op. I'm still living with the consequences of what happened, won't go into all the details. Now, we have a locum Gastro who is very nice, is young, but just the thought of seeing him is getting me on edge, even though I'm trying to stay calm. Please can my friends on here give me some good wishes that I can think about whilst I am sat waiting to see him in the morning? Will let you know how I get on. My neighbour is going with me, as she knows how unsupportive my O/H is. Wouldn't like to go on my own. Thank you. heart

Message 1 of 35
See Most Recent
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Gastroenterologist appt - can I have your good wishes please?

I'm back! The Gastro man thinks its all caused by stress and not the Crohns acting up. Ive told my O/H and said that things will have to change but he's not interested. All I can do is see how things go, but there comes a time in your life when you have to take stock of what is the most important, and health is very important.

Message 21 of 35
See Most Recent

That's it lass take control ! Although I'm glad to hear it isn't your Crohns the other reason is not good for it either as you already know!

**********Sam**********
Message 22 of 35
See Most Recent

Glad you got on ok. Stress sets my daughters Chrones off quite badly so it is all a vicious circle. Your heath is of paramount importance Carol. Take care of yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 23 of 35
See Most Recent

Glad you got it done and it's now behind you (no pun intended!!  Woman LOL)  Was it as bad as you thought?  Thankfully I've never had it done.  I can't imagine which is worse, upwards or downwards!  Woman Sad

Anyway, I'm glad it's nothing serious, but I suppose you need to sort 'other issues' out before it's gonna get any better,  All best wishes. XX.

Message 24 of 35
See Most Recent

I think that when you realize things affect your health, or are affecting it, it can spur you to make changes. Your health is your priority!!!.heart.

Glad you have got that appointment over with at least .heart

Message 25 of 35
See Most Recent

hope things get better for you shortly xx

Photobucket

Message 26 of 35
See Most Recent

I'm glad that it isn't your Crohn's playing up Carole but at least you know what it is now and how to cope with it as best you can..

My mum has diverticulitis and she's had the camera up and down and it isn't pleasant.  She's had the camera up once and down I don't know how many times.

Message 27 of 35
See Most Recent

Just seen your thread, Carol - and it's reminded me I need to check when my next appointment is: ugh 😞  But I'm really glad it's not your Crohn's and is "just" the stress.  Last time I went, I got to watch on the tv screen, which was actually quite interesting until I realised it was my own insides I was watching...  

Message 28 of 35
See Most Recent

Do you have Crohns then, Hefzi? Ive only had 2 colonoscopies, the first one when I lived in Bradford and my consultant, who was a lovely, caring man, let me watch on the screen. But the **bleep** that did it here, didnt let me watch. The consultant yesterday has assured me that I need never have another one, they will do a scan instead when necessary, so that's a relief. He was shocked that I was sent home with a perforated bowel and that it was 56 hours before I was operated on; I'm really lucky to be here. And that is why, I am not prepared to put up with stress from O/H for much longer, I want to find happiness. Think I deserve it.

Message 29 of 35
See Most Recent

quite right Carol...you are lucky to be here, that's the truth.

hope you are feeling a little less stressed today.

I've had the camera down twice, not really very pleasant but interesting to see the insides of your tum...mine looked like Mars...it was orange!!!

Photobucket

Message 30 of 35
See Most Recent

Not a pretty sight from "the other end" either, Capn B, LOL

Message 31 of 35
See Most Recent

@captainbovine wrote:

quite right Carol...you are lucky to be here, that's the truth.

hope you are feeling a little less stressed today.

I've had the camera down twice, not really very pleasant but interesting to see the insides of your tum...mine looked like Mars...it was orange!!!

Would that be a chocolate orange CB originalvkg.gif

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 32 of 35
See Most Recent

No, Carole - at least, I hope not!  They are trying to make up their minds what it is - I've got ulcers, but also various odd lumps that turned out not to be sinister, but they'd like to know what they're doing loitering in my insides.  I'm really sensitive to milk, and sometimes, but not always, to things like bread, beans, pasta etc.  There doesn't seem much rhyme or reason, but now I'm trying the dreaded FODMAP, which essentially stops me eating all the things I really like (I love apples, lentils and onions, not to mention stone fruit) - but if it works, it's worth it, I guess.  And there are certainly lots of worse things that can go wrong, so please don't think I'm having a moan.

Lucky I saw your thread, as I called today and found my appointment's Monday: they had a poke at both ends in February, and took some samples of inside, and wanted to look again - personally, if I had to pick, I'd choose up, rather than down... I live on my own, so it's a pita to have sedation as they hang on to you: but it's grimmer having something shoved down your throat than up your behind imo!  Actually, I'm really lucky - the consultant is lovely, and the nurses in the suite are just so nice that it makes a rather grim experience much better.   I wasn't keen on the pants with a flap in, as I was rather unconvinced they would fit a plus sized behind, but they were very nice: and they didn't even mock me when the consultant said he was just going to stick his finger in my bottom, and I said I'd been looking forward to that for ages... hmmm, tmi, but it was nerves, honest!  

Stress, though, is apparently a real trigger for digestion issues, though, according to my doctor - and I don't know how long you've been with your partner, but you really need to sit him down and have a very firm chat: people think stress is something vague and something people pull to get out of work, but that's simply because they don't know how it can have a very real and very serious effect on your life.  My mother ended up in hospital last year, with heart problems, that it turned out were a result of stress, and I have a weird condition where my brain basically thinks it can't see out of my left eye (even though there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever, and no reason for not being able to see on that side), which is also apparently a stress response.  If you can't get him to see sense, and start being more supportive, then maybe it's time to reconsider - or at least, reconsider reconsidering.

I mostly lurk here, so I've seen the thread where the lovely ladies who are currently splitting up have posted, and I know it's a horrible thing to go through.  But some time ago, I realised that I would rather be lonely on my own than lonely with someone who's at least supposed to pretend they're on my side - I know, though, people have different reasons for being in relationships, and often, it's less stress to stay together than split - but as your health is suffering, he at least needs to be told firmly what's going on and what he needs to do to help.  You've had a dreadful year, and it's hardly surprising your health is suffering as a result - but it would be nice if he did his bit to support you as well.  (Sorry - I know you know... I've spent four hours trying to sort out a student this afternoon who is suffering as a result of rubbish man syndrome: funny, really, as there are loads of good ones out there - but they mostly seem married to other people...)

Message 33 of 35
See Most Recent

How on earth did I end up replying to myself?  Mind you, I suppose I talk to myself enough so it's not a surprise!

Forgot to say - good news they can use something other than the bendy camera on you: after your hideous first experience, I take my hat off you to going back!

Message 34 of 35
See Most Recent

Hi Hefzi - all the very best for your appt, I'll be thinking of you. Unfortunately, my husband (been married 30 years) will not sit down and talk, or go for counselling. I'm his 3rd wife, 9 years younger than him, but I'm a young 59, he's a very old, slow 68. I've told him if he doesnt change his ways I will leave and the house will have to be sold; but as usual all he says is "Oh, I'm going outside!" and refuses to talk. With other people he never stops talking and smiling; all I get is silence and a miserable old face to look at. I have stayed because I am financially dependant on him, but other people seem to manage on their own. At least I would have a bit of money from my half of the house; he did say just after we were married that if ever I wanted a divorce he would make it as awkward as possible for me because of his other 2 wives. I think if I left him, once things had settled down I might start sleeping better.

Had to laugh at your post about the pants and the finger; very embarrassing that, isn't it? Think I would rather have the camera down, at least they get you in a headlock so you can't move (or they did with me.) I must admit, whilst i was waiting to see the Gastro (he was running 45 minutes late) I almost did a runner; I got into a right panic.

Let us know how you get on. xx

Message 35 of 35
See Most Recent