eBay Taking 20% Import Tax

My account is registered in Ukraine, as that is where I am from. But I have now moved to the UK and started selling on eBay. Despite me updating all of my details to show that I reside in the UK, eBay charges 20% import tax on everything that I sell.

Example: I sold an item for £99.99 + £3 shipping (I thought), but in reality the buyer actually paid £123.59... so he was charged £20.59 import tax. Why?? What is eBay doing with this money? They must be just pocketing it for themselves, as UK to UK sales should not have import tax. 

Despite this, I have tried to make a new account using eBay.co.uk multiple times. But every single time my account just gets closed as soon as I list an item. Absolutely ridiculous!! What am I supposed to do in this situation?? It seems like eBay wants me to continue selling on this account so that they can pocket an extra 20% from all of my sales.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

VAT is 20% UK to UK and import tax is 20% im sure so they kind of switch between the 2. Buying from Europe is no longer profitable cuz a lot of times u find u get charged VAT and Import tax. I'd check if you're registered for VAT or not. Obv something not right. Do u have VAT taken off your sales as well as the import tax?

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Because the account [the one you are posting from] you are selling from is registered in Ukraine.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Yes I have VAT and import tax taken

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

It was registered in Ukraine. I have updated everything to show that I reside in the UK, but my buyers are still being charged import tax.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

As far as I know, you cannot change the country your account is registered in by updating your details.

You would need a new account, with a different email address and a UK bank account.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: