Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 08.05.24 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of dave@ebay and marco@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/eBay-Search/td-p/7494750/page/9

I wondered if there was an update on the search issues I have raised on Page 9 of this thread? 

This issue is occuring to me daily, not just relating to this but clear issues with the algorithm churning out incorrect results. 

Do you want me to screenshot every issue I encounter and put it in the thread or shall I just wait for an update?

Its frustrating as so many different issues with Cassini have been pointed out by members on these forums on many threads and the fact they are impacting sales and search results, it is in all of our best interests to resolve these issues so we can a) sell things and b) Ebay can make money from those sales...

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Good afternoon everyone,

May I ask,  is there any update  on the missing update notifications for us,   when a poster comes back to ask another question,  or when a helpful is made,  which could also lead to another question, or just a thank you and with no reply to the poster,  this just seems lie a rude omission from us.

Will this,  can this be fixed?  It's been many weeks now.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

I check other eBay listings either when I am price matching or doing product research. I am finding that if I click on a particular listing a couple of times I am being treated like a watcher so sellers keep sending me offers on items that I have no intention of buying.

Is there any way that this can be turned off in my settings? Thanks 

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

@tressygirl wrote:

Good afternoon everyone,

May I ask,  is there any update  on the missing update notifications for us,   when a poster comes back to ask another question,  or when a helpful is made,  which could also lead to another question, or just a thank you and with no reply to the poster,  this just seems lie a rude omission from us.

Will this,  can this be fixed?  It's been many weeks now.

Hi tressygirl, thanks for your question.

An update on this was provided on Friday on the mentors boards, if you go back to the post from Dave you will see it there. 

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

@technthread wrote:

I check other eBay listings either when I am price matching or doing product research. I am finding that if I click on a particular listing a couple of times I am being treated like a watcher so sellers keep sending me offers on items that I have no intention of buying.

Is there any way that this can be turned off in my settings? Thanks 

Hi technthread, thanks for your question. 

Technically, a seller shouldn't be able to send you an offer just because you looked into one of their listings, unless you like it/watch it, do you have an item number, so we can double check this for you?

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

I don't think there is anything unusual going on that needs looking into, I think any eBay user can tell you that if they click on a listing 2 or 3 times but not watch/like it, they will regularly get an offer from a seller. 

As an example, I must have clicked on this more than once so the seller sent me an offer but it could be anything - 126416654903. I have a listing now which I can send an offer on which has no watchers for the same reason - 315347392164.

I understand it on a personal account where I may welcome it but on a business account I'd like to be able to switch it off as I'm not searching as a buyer would be. 

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

@vintagewatchpart wrote:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/eBay-Search/td-p/7494750/page/9

I wondered if there was an update on the search issues I have raised on Page 9 of this thread? 

This issue is occuring to me daily, not just relating to this but clear issues with the algorithm churning out incorrect results. 

Do you want me to screenshot every issue I encounter and put it in the thread or shall I just wait for an update?

Its frustrating as so many different issues with Cassini have been pointed out by members on these forums on many threads and the fact they are impacting sales and search results, it is in all of our best interests to resolve these issues so we can a) sell things and b) Ebay can make money from those sales...

Hi @vintagewatchpart 

Im still unable to replicate the results as you see them. For example, this is what I see when I search for the 19mm cartier link:

daveebay_0-1715174865106.png

There are also no know issues open and we haven't been able to replicate the results you're getting so unfortunately there are no updates.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

So the issue is confined to just myself? I am forever destined to struggle in my quest to locate items I am looking up and wish to purchase?

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi there, is there any progress on the long-standing issue where international shipping labels received from eBay are always formatted for A4, even when 6" x 4" format is selected? It's been happening for over two years I think, and multiple users have reported it but for about a year tech support kept telling me there was no problem.

I'm also wondering, is there a way to view active and scheduled listings together on the same page? It would help with stock management as I use scheduled listings to ensure new items are listed every day where possible. Currently I need to check back and forth between the two pages to see what's listed and what's listed but not live yet, and to ensure I don't duplicate listings. It'd also be helpful to see the total value of scheduled listings.

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Feedback score, I count many more positives than are used in the calculation, and that includes not counting multiple feedback for several items in one order.  Is the feedback score only allowing one positive feedback per buyer for the whole year rather than per order perhaps?  So if somebody buys three items, one in April, one in June and again in September, it looks like only one of their positive feedbacks is being counted rather than 3 for 3 separate orders.

And when are we going to get the option to leave negative feedback for problem buyers so they can be filtered and blocked from being able to buy thereby helping the selling community to protect themselves?  Worked very well a few years ago.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

@technthread wrote:

I don't think there is anything unusual going on that needs looking into, I think any eBay user can tell you that if they click on a listing 2 or 3 times but not watch/like it, they will regularly get an offer from a seller. 

As an example, I must have clicked on this more than once so the seller sent me an offer but it could be anything - 126416654903. I have a listing now which I can send an offer on which has no watchers for the same reason - 315347392164.

I understand it on a personal account where I may welcome it but on a business account I'd like to be able to switch it off as I'm not searching as a buyer would be. 

Thanks for that, technthread

So, you can send offers to the 30 most recent interested buyers, this can be people that are watching your items or who have added your items to their basket (This is probably why you can send an offer to a buyer for the item 315347392164). However, it wouldn't be related to you clicking too many times on it. Also, I've seen cases where people save it for later or like the item or add it to their basket by accident, and this would give a seller the option to send you an offer. Regarding your question, there are no settings that can prevent a seller from sending you an offer due to you clicking a couple of times on it.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Good afternoon . I had a problem with a postage label earlier this week

when I added an item for sale and adding postage to item  ( evri) 2 to 3 day delivery.

when added postage was £2.97 

when item sold . I had to cancel the label as it was quoted at 5.78 due to being a PA POSTCODE. . And using Royal Mail 48 tracked instead . 

Sent a cancellation request through packlink for the cancelled evri  label. Still waiting for refund after4 days .? any idea how it normally takes or would I have speak to packlink ?

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I definitely have ones where I have clicked on it a 2nd or 3rd time just to sell similar and the seller sends me an offer. Item 126416654903 is a good example because I used their listing to create my own and have since sold the item myself, I would have never watched or added it to basket. 

This isn't a major issue but I have got into the habit of trying not to click on an item I am researching twice. It isn't just the offers but I also get emailed about it and I am always trying to keep unwanted eBay notifications as low as possible.

Maybe the other way to ask this is whether your tech team can allow a business account to toggle onto research mode so we can watch as many items as we want but the seller can't send us an offer on it. It is awkward because if I reject the offer, the seller can see my username but if I ignore it, it will just go away after 2 days. The seller gets a listing locked from editing or sending other offers and I have a notification I don't want. Hope that makes sense, as I say if it isn't worth eBay's time to make changes I understand, but as a seller we start to realise a lot of the items we can send an offer on may be pointless as it is probably another seller, so it works both ways. 

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

@dwtrading2015 wrote:

Feedback score, I count many more positives than are used in the calculation, and that includes not counting multiple feedback for several items in one order.  Is the feedback score only allowing one positive feedback per buyer for the whole year rather than per order perhaps?  So if somebody buys three items, one in April, one in June and again in September, it looks like only one of their positive feedbacks is being counted rather than 3 for 3 separate orders.

And when are we going to get the option to leave negative feedback for problem buyers so they can be filtered and blocked from being able to buy thereby helping the selling community to protect themselves?  Worked very well a few years ago.

Hi @dwtrading2015 

Feedback is calculated on based on whether the sales occurred in the same week. For feedback we define a week as Monday to Sunday, Pacific Time. If the sales occurred in the same week you will only get 1 point, regardless of the number of positive ratings you received from the buyer that week. You should get 3 points from transactions over 3 months. If you have any examples of the above I can have a look if you want to DM them to me.

We used to have the option to leave negative for both buyers and sellers but we decided that it was not needed for buyers as their part of the transaction was complete when they paid for the item. You have the option to report the buyer if there any issues with the transaction, it can sometimes be that there no action taken for that one report but if there are a number of reports for an issue it can lead to action against the buyer. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

@bobsbrickstuff wrote:

Hi there, is there any progress on the long-standing issue where international shipping labels received from eBay are always formatted for A4, even when 6" x 4" format is selected? It's been happening for over two years I think, and multiple users have reported it but for about a year tech support kept telling me there was no problem.

I'm also wondering, is there a way to view active and scheduled listings together on the same page? It would help with stock management as I use scheduled listings to ensure new items are listed every day where possible. Currently I need to check back and forth between the two pages to see what's listed and what's listed but not live yet, and to ensure I don't duplicate listings. It'd also be helpful to see the total value of scheduled listings.

Hi bobsbrickstuff, thanks for your question.

It wouldn't be possible at the moment to see both scheduled and active listings on the same page. As workaround, you can open 2 tabs, so you can have a better visibility on both of them. However, happy to pass this on as feedback to see if this is something that could be taken into consideration for future updates.

Regarding the international shipping labels, I've just flagged this with the shipping team directly, so this can be reviewed. As soon as I get an update on this, I will post back here to let you know the most recent update on this.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

@williabaxte7 wrote:

Good afternoon . I had a problem with a postage label earlier this week

when I added an item for sale and adding postage to item  ( evri) 2 to 3 day delivery.

when added postage was £2.97 

when item sold . I had to cancel the label as it was quoted at 5.78 due to being a PA POSTCODE. . And using Royal Mail 48 tracked instead . 

Sent a cancellation request through packlink for the cancelled evri  label. Still waiting for refund after4 days .? any idea how it normally takes or would I have speak to packlink ?

Hi @williabaxte7 

Depending on how you paid for the label it can take longer to process but its generally 3 to 7 days. You can see a break down of the different timescales here.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

@technthread wrote:

I definitely have ones where I have clicked on it a 2nd or 3rd time just to sell similar and the seller sends me an offer. Item 126416654903 is a good example because I used their listing to create my own and have since sold the item myself, I would have never watched or added it to basket. 

This isn't a major issue but I have got into the habit of trying not to click on an item I am researching twice. It isn't just the offers but I also get emailed about it and I am always trying to keep unwanted eBay notifications as low as possible.

Maybe the other way to ask this is whether your tech team can allow a business account to toggle onto research mode so we can watch as many items as we want but the seller can't send us an offer on it. It is awkward because if I reject the offer, the seller can see my username but if I ignore it, it will just go away after 2 days. The seller gets a listing locked from editing or sending other offers and I have a notification I don't want. Hope that makes sense, as I say if it isn't worth eBay's time to make changes I understand, but as a seller we start to realise a lot of the items we can send an offer on may be pointless as it is probably another seller, so it works both ways. 

Hi technthread, thanks for your reply.

I will flag it anyway, just to be safe here. However, clicking a couple of times on a listing wouldn't be considered as one of the criteria for you to be eligible to receive offers from sellers. Also, if you click here you can see when a seller can send an offer and to whom, and we don't really have clicking multiple times on a listing as a requirement/criteria for you to be eligible to receive an offer. We have something similar for best offers and promoted listings, but for that the buyer would need to send an offer first.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.