Seller returned item damaged

Hi all, 

I sold a platinum bar on eBay the buyer opened it with scissors from the tamper evident case and then claimed it wasn't authentic, he returned it to me and it is in fact authentic I received it as a graduation gift however a man from customer services called Ben who was very rude said I can't do anything because in the past I have not fulfilled purchase orders and said that an item was out of stock too many times which affected my appeals??? I mean come on I can't write a letter or email I'm just stuck speaking to people on the phone who send me from one person to another? Can someone please advise because the item  is damaged and mr BEN tried to say that it doesn't matter I can just sell it damaged as the metal itself is in tact

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

plum993
Experienced Mentor

If the buyer opened a return request with ebay, then you would have to refund them in full,and if the item turned up NOT Damaged then you can report the buyer for misusing the Money Back Guarantee process.

If it has been returned damaged then ebay can't verify this, so even if you were to appeal the case decision, ebay take them on a one to one basis,with no guarantee's it would go in your favour.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

If the buyer has returned the item to you, as long as they opened a case through Ebay, you now have 48 hours to refund them.

If you refund voluntarily, you will get your Ebay selling fees back.  After 48 hours, the buyer can ask Ebay to step in.  If this happens, you will not get your fees back and you will get a defect on your selling account.

You have already spoken to Ebay to see if anything can be done because the item has been opened and examined so probably the best thing to do now is to refund the buyer.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent