Seller demanding my address and date of birth before posting my timing belt

Hi, can anyone help me get in contact with eBay. I can't find a way to contact them for a resolution. I bought and paid for a timing belt & water pump for my Audi TT from an eBay seller. Instead of posting the item they asked me to send them my address and date of birth within 24hrs or they will cancel my order.

I find this odd as sellers automatically get the address of the buyer, from eBay, so that they can honour they side of the deal. As far as I know there are no UK laws that require you to verify a buyer's age to buy car parts.

Is their demand against eBay rules? Much appreciate any help with this. Here is their message and my reply (names deleted):

Seller has sent a question about item #334678389300, ending on 25-May-24 17:29:31 BST - Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit 530044531 INA Set 06A121011R 06B109244 06D109119B

New message from: Seller
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand your concerns about providing your full name and date of birth. However, these details are needed to complete mandatory checks against official sanction lists provided by authorities.

If you are uncomfortable providing this information, that's completely understandable, so please let me know. Once confirmed, we'll proceed with cancelling your order and issuing a full refund.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Your previous message

Hi,

As a seller you get all the information you need once I buy the item, including my full name, address and phone number which is verified.

As for my age, that is sensitive information which I am not willing to provide unless you are required by law to collect. If so please let me know which UK regulations you are trying to comply with? This kind of information falls under data protection act and requires that you only collect if you have good reason for doing so and meet the legal requirements for safeguarding it.

May I please ask you to process my item without delay.

Kind regards,

Seller:

Hi,

I hope this message finds you well and thank you for your recent order with us.

To complete the processing of your order, we kindly ask for your full name and date of birth. This information is necessary for us to complete due diligence checks and ensure compliance with industry standards.

Please can you provide this information within the next 24 hours. If we do not receive this information within the next 24 hours, we will issue a full refund and cancel your order.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind regards,

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you to all that have replied. I really appreciate it. The seller gives you 24hrs to comply before automatically refunding you. Thus, getting round the eBay feedback process.

I tried to remind them of the UK GDPR law which is clear on limiting how much information you collect. It is one of the seven key priciples (Data minimisation). 

They did not care. So, I refused to give them my date of birth and this morning they issued a full refund. I have now bought the item elswhere but it has set me back a few days on my repairs.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Sounds well dodgy to me, I can think of no good reason why they would need your date of birth.

You could tell them to cancel, or you could wait under the latest estimated delivery date and then open an item not received claim and get your refund.  This would enable you to leave appropriate feedback that they wouldn't be able to get removed.

Or, if you really want the item and can't buy it elsewhere, just make a date up. They can't check it, they're just fishing for information.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Sounds a load if rubbish to me, regulations sbout selling car parts require the SELLER to be registered and sll sorts of regulations about sourcing from approved Businesses authorised to recycle vehicles, but few sellers comply, and there is nothing about buyers in the regulations.

Reporting sellers of spare parts, gets nowhere as ebay does not seem to be aware of their own regulations.

Have a read of the regulations - https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/selling/selling-vehicles-parts-accessories?id=4647&st=3&pos=1&qu...

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

I don't have the time or inclination to look up current UK due diligence requirements now, but this was an EU money laundering requirement for specific classes of high value transactions.

I think your seller is wildly mistaken to imagine that it applies to buying a car timing belt!

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Thank you to all that have replied. I really appreciate it. The seller gives you 24hrs to comply before automatically refunding you. Thus, getting round the eBay feedback process.

I tried to remind them of the UK GDPR law which is clear on limiting how much information you collect. It is one of the seven key priciples (Data minimisation). 

They did not care. So, I refused to give them my date of birth and this morning they issued a full refund. I have now bought the item elswhere but it has set me back a few days on my repairs.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

@jinic007 wrote:

@jinic007  As long as you've paid, you're still free to leave feedback even after the seller has refunded. Direct link here: Leave Feedback (ebay.co.uk) which is also at the bottom of everyone's feedback profile page.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent