Enormous postage price increase

Hello, 

I went to buy postage for an item that had sold and the Evri price has jumped from £2.94 to £4.06 and the Royal Mail one to £4.59 for 2nd class. This is to send a small parcel under a kg. I can't imagine this will entice buyers. Am I missing something?

I have seen on other posts that some sellers do their postage separately through Royal Mail or Evri direct. I didn't know this was possible and can't see how you do it.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Buying Royal Mail post direct,either online or at your local post office is cheaper than you mention.

Google Royal Mail, if you want to buy online from them,as there are different options,and they do explain.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks a lot. Do you therefore put "free postage" and include the price in your starting price?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

You could add the postage to the price of the item and display as free postage, there are many sellers that will do that.

BEar in mind too, that if you use the likes of Evri etc, if you send an item to certain parts of the UK they will charge a premium. Using Royal Mail is the same price throughout the UK including the CI's, Highlands, NI etc.

Also remember ebay on their FVF include the postage so if the item was sent second class from your post office at £3.69 you need to allow a bit extra when you add postage to cover these fees.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Just as a warning, making items freepost, will deter any buyer buying more than one item, as you cannot combine postage as there is nothing to combine.

There seems little point in using freepost, as if you are adding postage to the item price, it costs you and buyer exactly the same as listing the postage separately. In other words if you get the postage wrong, it makes no difference how you charge the buyer.

However in my opinion best to work out postage yourself and buy direct from RM or Post Office, at least you will pay the correct amount, as ebay suggested costs are frequently wrong.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

@spoonerella40 wrote:

Thanks a lot. Do you therefore put "free postage" and include the price in your starting price?

No,you weigh your item and get a postal cost prior to listing an item,(if you buy independently from RM etc,not from ebay postage)then when you have calculated the cost you add that into the postage section of the listing form so it shows on the listing for the buyer and covers the cost to post the item

If the item is of value you use a tracked/signed for postal service and just need to add the tracking details into the order details at the same time you dispatch/post the item.

Keep all your postal receipts for at least 180 days.

@spoonerella40 

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent