💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 22.02.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of kat@ebay , dave@ebay  and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

Hi,

Please can you advise if eBay is going to review the current inadequate returns process and what it is currently doing with users who misuse the returns?

I have had really poor experience with this recently where a customer contacted me saying “when I touch the ribbon the wording just rubs off, what are you going to do about this before I leave feedback”.

We explained that the wording does not just rub off when touched but scraping at it a number of times will cause it to fade.

She then opened a return saying the item was defective, I had no option to respond to this return whether this was to decline it or even comment on it.

The item was returned to me and I was shocked a the state it was returned, the ribbon was cut up into 3 pieces. One piece was hot glued to the inside of the envelope on the carboard reel we send our ribbon out with. The other 2 pieces were scrunched up and put into the envelope causing creasing along the lengths. We also tested the ribbon and the wording did not come off by simply touching it, It didn’t even fade after scraping it so she was clearly lying and we have photos and videos to prove this.

Due to the state the ribbon was returned in, I contacted eBay via chat and was told to send the buyer a message explaining the state of the return and why we were not told about the damage beforehand. They advised that once I have sent the message I should report them and wait until the 7th February before I can then ask ebay to step in and be covered by the seller protection.

I followed the advice of the eBay representative, and was accused by the buyer of being abusive, threatening and making false claims.

I did not send her a follow up message.

On the 7th February before I could raise this with eBay, the buyer raised it with you and was refunded in full coming out of my pocket. There was no investigation into this, no allowing me to put the truth across and evidence I had to prove she was lying.

I am not out of pocket not just for the item but the returns postage for someone who has damaged an item which is well beyond repair and has no resale value.

Due to this I contact yourselves again and spoke to the representative on the phone, she basically told me I should have issued a partial refund. She also said consumer laws says the buyer is entitled to a refund.

This is wrong, “IF” the item is damaged or defective it is down to the seller to offer a repair or replace for the item they do not have to refund. If a buyer no longer wants an item they must return it in a resalable condition for a full refund. The buyer sent the item back completely damaged so I am unable to resell it, it was not defective in any way shape or form so she was not entitled to a refund.

Why will eBay not allow sellers to prove a buyer is misusing the returns and being fraudulent ? Instead you just let them abuse the system and refund out of my pocket, this is wrong and does not follow consumer law.

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi, my buyer says he hasn't received the parcel while evri tracking shows delivered with proof of gps location and says delivered to porch but buyer says they don't have a porch. What should I do? Evri says to contact packlink and packlink says to file a lost claim, who should file lost claim me or buyer as it ask for bank details in case of refund? Should I give mine or buyer? Thanks

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

@anak-6102 wrote:

Hi, my buyer says he hasn't received the parcel while evri tracking shows delivered with proof of gps location and says delivered to porch but buyer says they don't have a porch. What should I do? Evri says to contact packlink and packlink says to file a lost claim, who should file lost claim me or buyer as it ask for bank details in case of refund? Should I give mine or buyer? Thanks

Hi @anak-6102,

You've done all you can in terms of obligation. If an eBay case is opened you'll be able to use that proof of delivery tracking number to get it closed.

The buyer can open a claim with the courier but we would recommend that you do not share any bank details and allow the buyer to make the claim external. If the courier only allows the sender to open a claim you can do so. This would be independent to eBay so we cannot give full advice on the next steps. Regardless it is best to not share bank details with a buyer. 

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

Late delivery defects & proof of posting. 
This is the 2nd time I have posted about this subject.

When will ebay accept a 'Horizon certificate of posting' which is electronically printed with the exact time & date that an item was posted as evidence that we sellers have posted the item on time.
Ebay for business keep telling me they only go by tracking and an acceptance scan at the post office, but I myslef have two problems with this.
Firstly lots of my items are sent untracked but they are scanned at the PO and a cert of posting is issued and secondly what has tracking got to do with it? I'm not trying to prove the item was delivered on time I'm prooving that the item was posted on time. Getting a late delivery defect prooves the item has been delivered.
You cannot make a claim for a lost item without a 'proof of posting' so if royal mail accept a POP why can't ebay?

One other thing for sellers with late delivery defects to look out for is the following. On Monday 20th Feb I got a late delivery defect for and item I posted on the 13th Feb, the item was a LL standard but was scanned at delivery on the Friday 17th Feb. The EDD was Saturday 18th so it was delivered on time but ebay have claimed that I got a late delivery defect because of the following:

'The reason for the late delivery defect was due to no acceptance scan on the tracking, so the system detected this was dispatched late.'

It was an untracked item so the acceptance scan does not register!!!

I have attached a pop so ebay can maybe make sense of the words circled in red 🙂

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

I forgot to add this 'The reason for the late delivery defect was due to no acceptance scan on the tracking, so the system detected this was dispatched late.' 
The item was delivered 1 day before the EDD so how can the system 'detect this was dispatched late' ??? WE all know the EDD are a mystery equation known only to ebay but if my item was delivered before the EDD how on earth can I get a late delivery defect?

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi

Can you help with Archieving paid & despatched orders, as from last Monday any order that has more than one item will not archive. Been in touch via th ehelp contact but they do not understand

Many sellers are having the same issue

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

@ak_craft_crazy wrote:

Hi,

Please can you advise if eBay is going to review the current inadequate returns process and what it is currently doing with users who misuse the returns?

I have had really poor experience with this recently where a customer contacted me saying “when I touch the ribbon the wording just rubs off, what are you going to do about this before I leave feedback”.

We explained that the wording does not just rub off when touched but scraping at it a number of times will cause it to fade.

She then opened a return saying the item was defective, I had no option to respond to this return whether this was to decline it or even comment on it.

The item was returned to me and I was shocked a the state it was returned, the ribbon was cut up into 3 pieces. One piece was hot glued to the inside of the envelope on the carboard reel we send our ribbon out with. The other 2 pieces were scrunched up and put into the envelope causing creasing along the lengths. We also tested the ribbon and the wording did not come off by simply touching it, It didn’t even fade after scraping it so she was clearly lying and we have photos and videos to prove this.

Due to the state the ribbon was returned in, I contacted eBay via chat and was told to send the buyer a message explaining the state of the return and why we were not told about the damage beforehand. They advised that once I have sent the message I should report them and wait until the 7th February before I can then ask ebay to step in and be covered by the seller protection.

I followed the advice of the eBay representative, and was accused by the buyer of being abusive, threatening and making false claims.

I did not send her a follow up message.

On the 7th February before I could raise this with eBay, the buyer raised it with you and was refunded in full coming out of my pocket. There was no investigation into this, no allowing me to put the truth across and evidence I had to prove she was lying.

I am not out of pocket not just for the item but the returns postage for someone who has damaged an item which is well beyond repair and has no resale value.

Due to this I contact yourselves again and spoke to the representative on the phone, she basically told me I should have issued a partial refund. She also said consumer laws says the buyer is entitled to a refund.

This is wrong, “IF” the item is damaged or defective it is down to the seller to offer a repair or replace for the item they do not have to refund. If a buyer no longer wants an item they must return it in a resalable condition for a full refund. The buyer sent the item back completely damaged so I am unable to resell it, it was not defective in any way shape or form so she was not entitled to a refund.

Why will eBay not allow sellers to prove a buyer is misusing the returns and being fraudulent ? Instead you just let them abuse the system and refund out of my pocket, this is wrong and does not follow consumer law.

Hi @ak_craft_crazy ,

I understand this type of return situation is difficult and you can report this type of buyer to eBay to have their account reviewed. The partial refund tool is advised in situations where buyers advise they received a used or damaged item. eBay doesn't see the items so decisions can be difficult to make in these scenarios.

As as its a public platform I cannot discuss the details of the actual case. I would recommend appealing the case through the normal channels with customer support.

Thank you,

Kat

I am currently away on maternity leave. Please reach out to the community team for support
Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.

eBay
Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

@simas-stuff wrote:

Late delivery defects & proof of posting. 
This is the 2nd time I have posted about this subject.

When will ebay accept a 'Horizon certificate of posting' which is electronically printed with the exact time & date that an item was posted as evidence that we sellers have posted the item on time.
Ebay for business keep telling me they only go by tracking and an acceptance scan at the post office, but I myslef have two problems with this.
Firstly lots of my items are sent untracked but they are scanned at the PO and a cert of posting is issued and secondly what has tracking got to do with it? I'm not trying to prove the item was delivered on time I'm prooving that the item was posted on time. Getting a late delivery defect prooves the item has been delivered.
You cannot make a claim for a lost item without a 'proof of posting' so if royal mail accept a POP why can't ebay?

One other thing for sellers with late delivery defects to look out for is the following. On Monday 20th Feb I got a late delivery defect for and item I posted on the 13th Feb, the item was a LL standard but was scanned at delivery on the Friday 17th Feb. The EDD was Saturday 18th so it was delivered on time but ebay have claimed that I got a late delivery defect because of the following:

'The reason for the late delivery defect was due to no acceptance scan on the tracking, so the system detected this was dispatched late.'

It was an untracked item so the acceptance scan does not register!!!

I have attached a pop so ebay can maybe make sense of the words circled in red 🙂

Hi @simas-stuff 

The eBay system isn't set up to receive updates from Royal Mail for POPs for Horizon Labels. This is why we cant currently accept them. 

I'll send the information you provided to The Shipping Team to review as a possible future update.

Thanks,

Dave.

eBay
Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

@mteconlineshop wrote:

Hi

Can you help with Archieving paid & despatched orders, as from last Monday any order that has more than one item will not archive. Been in touch via th ehelp contact but they do not understand

Many sellers are having the same issue

Hi @mteconlineshop ,

I have just looked into this and there have been further reports. Tech have identified it as a bug on site and are currently working on it. I will add your account to the ticket and once there is an update I will post back.

Thank you,

Kat

I am currently away on maternity leave. Please reach out to the community team for support

eBay
Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

You don't  need to receive updates from RM. You need to accept a photo of a valid proof of posting from your seller on ebay for business on facebook. I keep all my proof of postings (have 2 yrs worth in a box) as i might need them to make aclaim with RM for loss or damage etc... 
Everytime we are on chat with ebay reps they love to tell us how highly valued we are as a long standing seller on the platform, so maybe as we are so highly valued you could accept the evidence we provide you as the truth.
In what universe would it be good business practice for my to post my items late or let down my customers?

Proof = evidence or argument establishing a fact or the truth of a statement.

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi

Thanks for the reply, least it has been acknowlaged as a issue

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi,

Thank you for your repsonse, yes i report them but nothing happens they are freely allowed to do this again and again. But when i report them all you ask is for why there is no asking for proof, surely if someone is saying a buyer is falsely claiming something you would ask for proof?? 

Im sorry but the partial refund tool is no good to anyone, an item is either returned in a resellable condition then a full refund is given. If it is returned completly damaged rendering it to have no value to it then absolutely no refund should be given.  Why should someone who is trying to make a living on eBay be out of pocket by offering a partial refund for something they cannot sell on or make use out of? 

You say i should appeal the case, this was my exact point i am unable to. Ebay will not let me comment on a returns case what so ever, the only option i have is to refund. Even when the item is returned i still can't comment only option to refund. Hence why i contacted support and was told i should have used the partial refund. As explained this does not help sellers in anyway. Buyers can litterally get away with anything when they buy on eBay and reporting them does absolutely nothing. 

I am supposed to be covered under seller protections and was told by a representative i would be but still nothing from yoursleves, im out of pocket some fraudluant buyer has got there money back.

How is this fair?

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

@simas-stuff wrote:

You don't  need to receive updates from RM. You need to accept a photo of a valid proof of posting from your seller on ebay for business on facebook. I keep all my proof of postings (have 2 yrs worth in a box) as i might need them to make aclaim with RM for loss or damage etc... 
Everytime we are on chat with ebay reps they love to tell us how highly valued we are as a long standing seller on the platform, so maybe as we are so highly valued you could accept the evidence we provide you as the truth.
In what universe would it be good business practice for my to post my items late or let down my customers?

Proof = evidence or argument establishing a fact or the truth of a statement.

We cant generally accept photos as proof because there is no way for us to independently check the information. I appreciate you are a good seller with an established history but without being able to verify the information in a photo we cant take action. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi @ak_craft_crazy ,

In order to appeal it you would need to contact customer support rather than through the case. The case won't allow it now so it would need to be manually reviewed. It would be best to contact by phone or chat. I cannot guarantee the outcome but this would be the best route.

Thank you,

Kat

eBay
Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi, I purchased this two days ago with a 2-3 day delivery time meaning I would have been expecting it today or tomorrow. Do you have any idea when you are going to dispatch this item?

Item purchased on Monday night at 7pm with 2 day dispatch and 3 day delivery. 

Maybe someone from the shipping team could spend the afternoon on the boards to see the contuniued frustration they are causing businesses. The system DOES NOT WORK  as it is based on passed courier deliveries, dispatches and other factors. It does not count for what I am doing today or this week. 

If I have a customer to deal with or a delivery, the EDD does not take this in to account but I do when I set my delivery and dispatct as a item might be delayed by a day being dispatched from time to time. Yet managers in the shipping team know what I am doing better than me it seems and tell buyers it will get to them quicker. When this promise is not met the emails like above come and customers are disapointed with the service receieved even though the delivery is still with in the promised delivery window. 

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Hi,

Yes i did this on the day this person was refunded but i was told i should have used the partial refund tool, when i explained to them i was advised not to do this by a eBay representative. They just told me i was misinformed and that was that.

They would not let me appeal it and again just said report them. This is the reason i am frustrated with eBay i read peoples issues on here week in week out and none of them ever get resolved. The answer always seems to be in a more polite well oh well tough your a seller not a buyer.

When will sellers get the same protections from fraudualnt buyers as buyers?? Buyers get there money back at the snap of their fingers but us sellers have to jump through hoop after hoop to be told ah well tough. 

You report buyers and nothing gets done, when i ask what's happened to this buyer the response is we can't tell you. Its because you don't do anything and its all talk, like politicians.

I have asked for figures of how many members have been banned from eBay for misues of returns and im told we can't tell you, surprise.

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

@returns_andexdisplay wrote:

Hi, I purchased this two days ago with a 2-3 day delivery time meaning I would have been expecting it today or tomorrow. Do you have any idea when you are going to dispatch this item?

Item purchased on Monday night at 7pm with 2 day dispatch and 3 day delivery. 

Maybe someone from the shipping team could spend the afternoon on the boards to see the contuniued frustration they are causing businesses. The system DOES NOT WORK  as it is based on passed courier deliveries, dispatches and other factors. It does not count for what I am doing today or this week. 

If I have a customer to deal with or a delivery, the EDD does not take this in to account but I do when I set my delivery and dispatct as a item might be delayed by a day being dispatched from time to time. Yet managers in the shipping team know what I am doing better than me it seems and tell buyers it will get to them quicker. When this promise is not met the emails like above come and customers are disapointed with the service receieved even though the delivery is still with in the promised delivery window. 

Hi @returns_andexdisplay 

You will need to reach out to the seller to to find out when the item will be dispatched. Unfortunately we cant see the details of the the transaction but once the seller updates the details it will show on your side. 

As always we will forward all the feedback provided on the community to the shipping team to review but at the moment there are no plans to change how EDDs are calculated.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.