Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 17.01.24 @2pm

Hi everyone,

Our eBay Community Team is made up of marco@ebay, @dave@ebay  and katie@ebayBetween us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on, we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have, and we’ll do all we can to support. 

How the chat works:

• The chat will open at 2pm and will remain open for new questions until 3pm each Wednesday.
  • We will answer the questions chronologically and will reply after 3pm if needed.
  • To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply.
  • We will reply quoting your question.
  • This chat is designed to provide quick replies from eBay employees on subjects we can assist you with publicly. 

Rules:

• One question per reply. If you have multiple questions, please do multiple replies.
  • Follow the community guidelines, which can be found here
  • Your reply must contain a question. Please do not reply to another members question with an answer. Replies with no questions may be removed to help with the reading of this thread.
  • This thread will close in one hour, so please open a discussion thread and @mention our team if your question is in-depth, ongoing, or more of a general complaint. This way, we can reply to you in a way that is most beneficial to all.

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us, or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 36
See Most Recent
35 REPLIES 35

Hi   I have quite a few multi listings but I`ve never understood why when someone clicks on the item to look, before they even select a variation it shows `last one` or `1` or `2` available when I have over 100 available! Your figure is evidently the most of any of the individual variations that I have within the multi listing. This is no use to anyone and can put people off…. They should see there are actually 20, 50 or 250etc individual variations available

Message 2 of 36
See Most Recent

When an item sells and the buyer selects Click and Collect, or inputs an address of their choice at checkout, why is the seller even shown the buyer's registered address?

I ordered something recently, selecting Click and Collect (Argos), because we thought we might be out when it arrived. The item arrived on Tuesday - at my home/registered address. Fortunately we were in, so it was OK.

But what if we had been out? What if it was something I wanted sent to my daughter the other end of the country - I would then have paid for the postage to get it from the seller to me, then paid again to get it to my daughter, just because they didn't use the correct address.

I think this is because sellers (think they) 'know' that the item has to be sent to the buyer's registered address for seller protection. I did send a message to my seller telling him it needed to be 'post to' address, not 'registered' address - but I think he probably ust thinks I am a scammer out to trick him!

There is no need for the registered address to be shown, it's confusing. Just show the address that it needs to be sent to.

Message 3 of 36
See Most Recent

Hi

A buyer of an item I sold made a false claim that an accessory was missing, and misused ebay return policy. Ebay (as always, it appears) sided with the buyer despite being shown that the claim was false.

I'm now considerably out of pocket on an item which has now been returned to me damaged (it was in full working condition when sold). Ebay disputes team have refused to re open the case.

Who can I speak to in order to receive fair treatment now that your disputes team have 'followed policy' and wiped their hands of it? What is your complaints/escalation process?

Thanks

Message 4 of 36
See Most Recent

My second issue this week:

I had another postage anomaly on my other ID again this week. I have a blanket 1.30 postage, plus 60p each extra item up to a maximum of £2.90.

Buyer bought 4 items, paid for them all together. Ebay charged £2.40 postage. How does that work, then?

Message 5 of 36
See Most Recent

• I continually have 100+ member messages on my dashboard `awaiting my reply` but they don’t need a reply can you add an option `no reply needed` (as Amazon do) so they don’t show as outstanding
Message 6 of 36
See Most Recent

@russellmattin wrote:

Hi   I have quite a few multi listings but I`ve never understood why when someone clicks on the item to look, before they even select a variation it shows `last one` or `1` or `2` available when I have over 100 available! Your figure is evidently the most of any of the individual variations that I have within the multi listing. This is no use to anyone and can put people off…. They should see there are actually 20, 50 or 250etc individual variations available

Hi @russellmattin,

When you click on a variation listing it usually defaults to a recently sold or the most popular item from the available selection, this works on a similar algorithm to best match. This can sometimes show a low remaining number of items for that one variation and not the total for the entire listing. 

I will pass this feedback on to the the site development team to review as a possible improvement for future updates. 

Thanks,

Dave 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 7 of 36
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

When an item sells and the buyer selects Click and Collect, or inputs an address of their choice at checkout, why is the seller even shown the buyer's registered address?

I ordered something recently, selecting Click and Collect (Argos), because we thought we might be out when it arrived. The item arrived on Tuesday - at my home/registered address. Fortunately we were in, so it was OK.

But what if we had been out? What if it was something I wanted sent to my daughter the other end of the country - I would then have paid for the postage to get it from the seller to me, then paid again to get it to my daughter, just because they didn't use the correct address.

I think this is because sellers (think they) 'know' that the item has to be sent to the buyer's registered address for seller protection. I did send a message to my seller telling him it needed to be 'post to' address, not 'registered' address - but I think he probably ust thinks I am a scammer out to trick him!

There is no need for the registered address to be shown, it's confusing. Just show the address that it needs to be sent to.

Hi kempseykate, thanks for your post.

Normally, when you order an item for Click and Collect, the seller gets the shipping address of the shop you selected, so they can send it there. Once the shop receives it, they should hold it until you collect it. If the item is not collected, the item is eventually returned to the seller, and you could open an item not received case to get your money back.

If this is not what happened, I suspected something else might have happened. If you confirm the item number for the transaction in question, I can take a look for you.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 8 of 36
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

I had another postage anomaly on my other ID again this week. I have a blanket 1.30 postage, plus 60p each extra item up to a maximum of £2.90.

Buyer bought 4 items, paid for them all together. Ebay charged £2.40 postage. How does that work, then?

Hi kempseykate, thanks for your question.

If you ask us from the account in question, or create a thread from that account with the same question, I will be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 9 of 36
See Most Recent

thanks Dave, I think it could be a useful improvement if implemented

Message 10 of 36
See Most Recent

Is VAT now optional on ebay? 

Can ebay automatically fill in the VAT box with my VAT rate as everytime a new listings is created I have to fill in VAT amount when other selling platforms don't require you to keep adding the same rate to every new listing. There are enough item specific boxes to fill in already without having to fill in another box. 

Message 11 of 36
See Most Recent

Hi,

At the Manchester Open event Eve Williams mentioned that small business are the backbone of eBay and she loves to hear from them, is there any way we could have just 1 weekly chat with her so we could help eBay improve as a business, we could comment on what is helping us as customers of eBay and what is annoying/not helping us.

At the open event if you spoke to any 'management' they always mentioned how they loved to receive feedback which could help improve the site and what difficulties we as customers of eBay are facing. It seems like there is no way of doing so unless you attend these events which are only held once a year and for many customers of eBay its difficult to get to due to running a business/only being in 2 locations so some sort of online get together could actually be beneficial for both sides.

Message 12 of 36
See Most Recent

marco@ebay wrote:

@kempseykate wrote:

Normally, when you order an item for Click and Collect, the seller gets the shipping address of the shop you selected, so they can send it there. Once the shop receives it, they should hold it until you collect it. If the item is not collected, the item is eventually returned to the seller, and you could open an item not received case to get your money back.

If this is not what happened, I suspected something else might have happened. If you confirm the item number for the transaction in question, I can take a look for you.

Thank you,

Marco

Yes, Marco, I know how Click and Collect works!

My post is about the fact that on the invoice you show the buyer's registered address on the right hand side, and the 'post to' address on the left hand side. My seller just sent it to my registered address, NOT the C&C address I had selected at checkout.
So my question was why even show the seller the buyer's registered address, just show them the address they need to post it to.

Item number: 296142678804

Message 13 of 36
See Most Recent

@returns_andexdisplay wrote:

Is VAT now optional on ebay? 

Can ebay automatically fill in the VAT box with my VAT rate as everytime a new listings is created I have to fill in VAT amount when other selling platforms don't require you to keep adding the same rate to every new listing. There are enough item specific boxes to fill in already without having to fill in another box. 

Hi , thanks for your post.

Whether the tax is included in the listing price, added to the buyer's order total or charged at the border depends on the order price, the item's location and the buyer's delivery address.

It is optional. eBay is obliged to collect VAT on goods delivered to customers in the UK and EU in certain situations.

Please speak with a tax professional if you have any questions about your VAT obligations as a buyer or seller.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 14 of 36
See Most Recent

marco@ebay wrote:

@kempseykate wrote:

Hi kempseykate, thanks for your question.

If you ask us from the account in question, or create a thread from that account with the same question, I will be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you,

Marco

No problem. It's not an ID I post with, so I will try (try being the operative word) to get a call back from CS and see if they can solve it.

Message 15 of 36
See Most Recent

my final question of today! only just found this useful forum! 

Quite often I have suggestions to improve some ebay pages or I`ve identified faults. Sometimes you have a `comments` tab or `tell us what you think` or `feedback` but often nothing. Could you not have a standard option on every screen to report faults or suggestions?

Ive tried in the past to report to customer service but they usually don’t understand the issue and don’t pass it to the team that can consider it

Message 16 of 36
See Most Recent

@pg_kicks wrote:

Hi,

At the Manchester Open event Eve Williams mentioned that small business are the backbone of eBay and she loves to hear from them, is there any way we could have just 1 weekly chat with her so we could help eBay improve as a business, we could comment on what is helping us as customers of eBay and what is annoying/not helping us.

At the open event if you spoke to any 'management' they always mentioned how they loved to receive feedback which could help improve the site and what difficulties we as customers of eBay are facing. It seems like there is no way of doing so unless you attend these events which are only held once a year and for many customers of eBay its difficult to get to due to running a business/only being in 2 locations so some sort of online get together could actually be beneficial for both sides.

Hi @pg_kicks,

Thank you for your insight on this. We do collect and pass on feedback to management from the community. It is one of our team's core functions here to advocate for the community and pass on the sentiment from these boards. 

I like your weekly chat guest suggestion and will take it on board. It may not be possible but is worth exploring.

Thanks,

Katie

eBay
Message 17 of 36
See Most Recent

@richyrara wrote:

Hi

A buyer of an item I sold made a false claim that an accessory was missing, and misused ebay return policy. Ebay (as always, it appears) sided with the buyer despite being shown that the claim was false.

I'm now considerably out of pocket on an item which has now been returned to me damaged (it was in full working condition when sold). Ebay disputes team have refused to re open the case.

Who can I speak to in order to receive fair treatment now that your disputes team have 'followed policy' and wiped their hands of it? What is your complaints/escalation process?

Thanks

Hi @richyrara 

The disputes team are the only contact point for escalations in regards to cases. They have the most knowledge of the policy. Because they cant see the items that buyers received they are restricted in the actions that they can take. They cant prove or disprove either side in a case like this so in most cases the resolution will be the same. 

If they are unable to reopen a case it usually means there is no further action they can take. Escalations are handled through the team that you have already spoken to but you can find more information on the complaints process in the user agreement 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 18 of 36
See Most Recent

Hi, 

my name is Phil Mealey, I am the co-writer of Early Doors TV Series and Early Doors Live. We only ever released Early Doors Live on Vimeo for download for alimited time to people who purchase this for £4.99. With all profit going to The Christie Cancer Charity in Manchester.

I have made several complaints about this seller who have clearly recorded and bootlegged this and are now selling it on Ebay with no autherisation and completly breaks copyright law.

My most recent responses from Ebay have been they  '... didn't find the listing to be in violation of our policy.'

How can this be as it is a clear violation of the law. Also what further action would you suggest I take to stop this despicable act of exploiting ourselves and people with cancer! Your help iss much appreciated.

Message 19 of 36
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

marco@ebay wrote:

@kempseykate wrote:

Thank you,

Marco

Yes, Marco, I know how Click and Collect works!

My post is about the fact that on the invoice you show the buyer's registered address on the right hand side, and the 'post to' address on the left hand side. My seller just sent it to my registered address, NOT the C&C address I had selected at checkout.
So my question was why even show the seller the buyer's registered address, just show them the address they need to post it to.

Item number: 296142678804

Thanks for your reply, kempseykate.

I've just checked and the seller did get the shop address in the order details as the shipping address, that was the only shipping address shown to the seller. The seller probably mixed up the addresses when sending the invoice.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 20 of 36
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.