EBay gave me £80 off fvf instead 80%

I just sold an item for nearly £2000. Final value fee was just over £200 and eBay instead taking off 80% they took off £80 which leaves me £100 out of pocket 

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You ended the listing early by accepting a best offer - that is listed as an exclusion under the terms and conditions:

'Auction-style listings ended early.'

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

You ended the listing early by accepting a best offer - that is listed as an exclusion under the terms and conditions:

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

You live and learn every day. Thank you 👍

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

Surely if it was excluded there wouldn't have been any discount on FVF?

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

@jckl1957 wrote:

That applies to auctions with bids that are ended early by the seller - eBay charge full final value fees in that case, not the promotional rate.

You can accept a Best Offer and still qualify for the promotional offer, so there must be something else in play here.

@darwoj-0  Did you promote that listing and incur an extra fee?

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

IMG_1435.jpeg

 nope. It looks like this 

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

It says £80 under promotion there.

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Yes £80 but the offer was 80% off final value fee not £80 hence my confusion 

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

IMG_1436.jpeg

Like this here 

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

It looks like you promoted your listing, there's a fee for that which won't be included in the 80% off final value fees offer. It's considered a listing fee.

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Wouldn't it say this under fees details? Anyway I will speak to someone tomorrow as they open only until 6pm and taking from there. Thanks for you help 

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

So I had exactly the same. I went via the chat and they confirmed that Best Offers are eligible, the £80 is a technical issue, which they must now be aware of and they manually credited the fees 

Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

Thank you that is very helpful 👍

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

@kandpbarnes wrote:

So I had exactly the same. I went via the chat and they confirmed that Best Offers are eligible, the £80 is a technical issue, which they must now be aware of and they manually credited the fees 

That's helpful to know about the £80, thanks.

I wonder if it's just the watches category that's affected here?

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

Except sometimes you don't. 

Accepting offers on either bin or auctions doesn't cancel the promotion, neither does ending and auctions early and selling to the high bidder.  Only ending auctions early when there are bids incurs full fees.

A glitch.  The £80 should say 80% and that percentage shown instead of the £80.

When you get it sorted, talk quietly - imagine if you sell something for £50 and you get £80 off!

Was expecting things to go awry with this offer.  Listed four items.  Counter has gone down to 92 left.  Each item number is showing once in the summary and also in a file for downloading.

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Looks as if my advice was totally wrong!

Apologies - I should have read the original post more carefully and not jumped in so confidently with the incorrect answer.

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Is all good. Spoke to EBay chat today and have been assured that they will rectify the issue within next 48 hours. Thanks everyone for your help. 

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Strangely I have been told that this happened because I posted the item on Friday and accepted the promo on Sunday which is not true and have a proof that I have accepted the promo first and than posted the item but because they have already agreed on the refund I didn't want to argue anymore 🙂 

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

Good old ebay, they can never admit something was their fault! If it had been as they said, and you  listed before accepting the offer, then there would have been no reduction at all. 

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

Had the exact same issue THIS WEEK ONLY, used the 80% offer for years and it's been fine, but this time around it took £80 instead of 80%. I only realised after looking at the payments to withdraw, had to refund the buyer and try again (I knew it was a bug) and it happend again even with a fresh listing.

I spoke to ebay chat and they said someone would email me, this was 3 days ago and nothing. I had to cancel all my new listings and only stick to the ones from 2 weeks ago, but I don't know if the 'bug' is affecting them too now.

It's definitely a bug though and glad? to see it affected others not just me as means eBay might actually fix it and not let it happen again. Many would have lost money over this if they didn't realise. Me? I lost out on the sale of a £2000+ item because by the  time the buyer got around to trying it again the next day, they had seen it elsewhere new and wanted to buy it there instead.

THANKS EBAY 😕 

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: