Postage Help please!

Hi - I want to advertise something but have always opted for collect in person in the past. I have read through the information about fees etc and read through posts on here but remain totally confused with all the options! Does the buyer pay the postage? Do I have to include postage costs in the advertised price? How does it work? I'm probably being a bit thick but I've been trying for weeks to work it out and failed ! 😩 Would really appreciate your expertise to explain in simple terms - thank you!

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Postage Help please!

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

It is up to you to decide which method you prefer.

You can put the postage on the listing and the buyer pays it when they pay for the item.

That is item plus postage.

You make sure you measure and weight the item and check to make sure you have the correct price for postage and which service you want to send by. 

Or you can do Free postage but you add the postage to the item.

See the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options?id=4089

I prefer to buy the postage myself and not use ebay Packlink postage but again that is your choice.

If you do that then you make sure the tracking is on the item in your sold section

RM will post to any are of the UK for the same price but some couriers charge more for different areas.

We are just ordinary members trying to help.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Postage Help please!

redwick1
Experienced Mentor

It is up to you to decide which method you prefer.

You can put the postage on the listing and the buyer pays it when they pay for the item.

That is item plus postage.

You make sure you measure and weight the item and check to make sure you have the correct price for postage and which service you want to send by. 

Or you can do Free postage but you add the postage to the item.

See the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options?id=4089

I prefer to buy the postage myself and not use ebay Packlink postage but again that is your choice.

If you do that then you make sure the tracking is on the item in your sold section

RM will post to any are of the UK for the same price but some couriers charge more for different areas.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Postage Help please!

Thank you so much - that is much clearer! I think I finally get it!

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Postage Help please!

However you do it, whether quoting a postage cost or "free post", the buyer pays and from what you receive you have to buy the postage.

ebay calculates the selling fee based on total received, so if you only quote cost price for postage, you will lose about 13.2% in fees.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Postage Help please!

Thank you - so for example, if I say I want £40 + £2.50 postage, the buyer would need to pay £42.50?

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Postage Help please!

Correct.

Be aware fees are on item price and the postage price.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Postage Help please!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent