I received a batch of books although one was faulty. I had asked the seller to check them first.

I received a batch of books although one was faulty. I had asked the seller to check them before he sent them. Only one book was faulty (pages torn out/removed) and I have asked the seller to send a refund of just £2.35, which is roughly the cost-per-book as ordered. This is not a lot to ask, although up to now the seller is apparently ignoring my requests. I do feel my request is reasonable. How do I go about getting eBay to sort this out?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

I received a batch of books although one was faulty. I had asked the seller to check them first.

For ebay to get involved, you have to open a NOT AS DESCRIBED CASE, seller provides a return label and you return the LOT for a full refund.

Ebay does not get involved in partisl refunds, it is ALL OR NOTHING.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you for your email and comments.

I am unable to return all the items as most of the books received were
gifts for people and have been given away.

Therefore I no longer have them in my possession.

How do I sort this out?

The seller seems to have not read my message about checking the books
before he sent them to me. If he had, and pointed out the missing pages,
this would have been OK.
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

If you can not return all the items then you will not be able to do anything.

Ebay policy is that if you open a Not as described ( which is what your order is) then you have to return all the items in the condition you received them

You have no way to force the seller to do a partial refund

We are just ordinary members trying to help.
Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

If you open a case and say that you would be happy to receive a partial refund your seller will read this and may decide that offering you a partial refund is less hassle for him than sending a label and having to give you a full refund. If this happens he can partially refund you within the case.

Then again he may ask you to send the whole lot back. If so, you can ignore it and let the case time out and you have lost nothing.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

While we can see your issue the answers you have been given are perfectly correct. 

As you cannot return all of them [due to giving the others away] there really is nothing you can do. Really!

The seller is not required - through eBay at least - to give any adjustment though many might voluntarily. 

You can of course leave suitable feedback such as "disappointing transaction - one book damaged/incomplete".

@stars-6 

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

What I might do is publicise my experience on social media, simply
stating the facts and
the way that the seller is ignoring my emails.

The fact is that he should have read my eBay message before sending the
items to me.

Simply stating the facts, dates, initial message and so on will allow
people who see all the
postings to make their own minds up as to whether they should buy from him.

That seems the only way forward . . .
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

What I might do is publicise my experience on social media, simply
stating the facts and
the way that the seller is ignoring my emails.

The fact is that he should have read my eBay message before sending the
items to me.

Simply stating the facts, dates, initial message and so on will allow
people who see all the
postings to make their own minds up as to whether they should buy from him.

That seems the only way forward . . .

Brian
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Given that you would have been able to get a full refund had you understood how the money back guarantee works, and it is your actions that prevent this happening, I think your plan of going to social media is unjustified, particularly given the value involved.

The facts are that you should have read how the money back guarantee works and not given the books away.  The problem is of your making.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

The problem is not of my making.

The seller should have read my message prior to dispatch.

Also, he shouldn't simply ignore subsequent messages.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Members have already given you the correct advice on how you should have dealt with it.

Just wonder what amount of money are you talking about for one book?

The problem was not of your making but the ebay money back guarantee was there to make sure you received a full refund

That involved returning all the books and the seller would have had to pay for the return.

It would be wrong to go to social media and if you mention the sellers id/ name then you could be in trouble with Dgp Data protection

The way to go is to leave the appropriate feedback but as you did not return the items through a dispute then any feedback could be removed.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Just wonder what amount of money are you talking about for one book?

£2.35!!!   @redwick1 

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

OMG thanks 😀 

Should have read the whole thread again. 

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent