How to request a VAT invoice from seller

Hi all,

I've recently setup my own business and have been purchasing parts through eBay.

I noticed that a lot of the sellers don't supply a VAT invoice through eBay and I want to know how I am supposed to get a VAT invoice from the seller so that I can claim the VAT back?

I have messaged a few of them who then request an email address to send the invoice to but due to eBays "Member-to-member contact policy" (https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/membertomember-contact-policy?id=4262), I am unable to send the email address because eBay blocks it. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

If buying from a private seller for example, they cannot issue VAT invoices as they are not VAT registered. 

If after the transaction has been completed,  and only then, you can share that information, but ensure your messages clearly state that it is a post sale invoice. So ebay don't think you are trying to complete a sale off their platform. Under the offering to buy or sell outside policy which i have pasted the relevant bit for you:

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 07.50.02.png

The other option is they could attach it to a normal message as a jpeg for you as you can attach up to 5 pictures.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

If you are buying for a business ebay says you need to do that on a business account, that might make a difference. 

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Thanks for the tips. 

I think I'll need to ask them to attach a jpeg of the invoice. The sale was completed late last year and I've just set up my company so I'm trying to get all of these finance things sorted.

Weirdly, I was able to send them my email address before but they've now requested it again (in fairness, I think it's laziness) and it won't allow me to send it.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent