Customer support

Hi all.   Is it possble to change a classified ad (car) to an auction?  If not, how do I end the classified listing early so I can relist as an auction?

Thanks.  Dave

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Customer support

Nope,  sorry that is not possible.

You would need to end the listing,  and relist the vehicle in auction form.

You would pay the £19.99 non refundable listing fee for the Classified ad,  and another £14.99 non refundable listing fee for listing the vehicle in auction format.  Payable sale otr no sale.  Those fees are charged the second the item goes live.

If you like,  you could add those two fee to the newly relisted item's starting price.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

Thanks.  I thought to end the classified listing, but can't see how to.  Please advise.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

plum993
Experienced Mentor

While it's not possible to change from a classified add to an auction,your best leaving the add as a classified add,as it's a project car,and you get to choose your buyer,no final value fees to pay,no feedback can be left and you choose your payment method,unlike ebays standard car auction format.

Plus if you cancel your classified add you do not get your listing fee credited back

@656daveb 

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

If you are really insistant on ending then simply find the listing in your active listings,then go to the More Actions drop down menu to the right of the Listing and END it.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

Thanks.  Sorry to sound thick, but I don't see a More Actions button anywhere - on the listing or when i go into revise Listing.   If I can't work it out, is it permissible to have the same item listed twice and put it on auction as well - then make a very bold note on the classified ad that the car is on auction.........so people will know it is the same item.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

Nooo don't do that,  you might end up with two buyers, one car and one big headache!

This link below might help you explain how to end your item.  Perhaps use a PC / laptop if you can,  and try Chrome or Firefox they work best with eBay.

Remember, you will pay that listing fee of £19.99 for ending the listing, and anoother £14.99 if you relist it in auction format.

Here's all you need to know about Cancelling a Listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146&a...

@656daveb 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

Wouldn't that be nice - two buyers!!

You mst be an experienced ebayer, so may I ask for advice.  The reason I want to change to auction is that in 5 days I have had over 1000 views and there are 37 watchers - yet no offers and only one person who asked to see the car and then didn't show up.  I had this once before, thousands of views over the month, and that was it.  I thought this might be because the price is too high - but then offers are invited.  37 watchers - yet if they were really interested, wouldn't they make offers before someone elses buys?  I don't want to have it again that, at the end of a month, thousands of views and nothing else.  This is my reasoning for thinking of changing to auction - what would you advise?  Sorry if I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm a bit unsure what best to do.

Dave

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

It really doesn't matter which option you choose to list a car,as it may not sell in either format,classified or auction.

Your selling a Datsun,and that isnt everyones choice,and it won't help that the picture you have of it shows it somewhere abroad,which can put some people off as it can reflect a scam!!!!!!

You need recent pictures on UK soil.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

You can ask any question ( well within reason of course!) of us here, we're all happy to help.

Experienced I may be, but I've never sold a car on eBay , and just have gleaned over many years the tips and ideas from other sellers how to sell a car.

The results are an overwhelming that a Classified ad is the best way to sell a vehicle.   One listing fee to pay, no final value fee,  and the vehicle stays listed  for 30 days or until sold.

With the viewing figures you are receiving,  to be honest I'm not sure they always show a true picture.  In auctions I've seen many have received bids so the item is sold,  but buyers then do not turn up and pay, here you'll have that listing fee to pay.

Personally,  I would leave it in a Classified ad format,  if a buyer is serious in buying your vehicle they'll buy it in whichever format it's in.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

Thanks, much appreciated.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Customer support

You're most welcome, and good luck with the sale,  it's a fantastic vintage car ! 

@656daveb 

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent