Damaged item return

I bought and item and it came damaged the seller told me to open a case so I did. The item was insured and bought through pack link. I was persistent I would accept a partial refund and keep the item after he received the claim from packlink/dpd. I received a full refund today with no label supplied or return accepted, a simple full refund. The buyer has now contacted me saying to pack it back up and he will have it collected, I replied saying you knew I wanted to keep the item why am I returning it?? Apparently, the seller had to refund me before packlink refunded him. I asked how much and he said they have not told him yet. I find it really hard to believe packlink would tell him to issue me a full refund before even giving any details on how much he would be compensated. Is he just trying to keep the refund money and the item I bought off him. This seems very sketchy.

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Damaged item return

If he refunded you in full you no longer own the item and must send it back to the seller

He is correct that they will not compensate a seller until they have refunded the buyer as they do not have any financial loss until they have done so. They could keep the buyers money and the compensation money. So the seller is not lying. 

eBay also require the seller to refund the buyer once they open a case, the seller doesn't get the choice, although they should have issued the return label and had you return the item before they refunded. 

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Damaged item return

It is always the seller's choice whether to give a full refund with or without return, or a partial refund with the buyer keeping the item. 

Depending on what the item is, what the damage is and what is was insured for, the seller may get only a small amount of compensation from packlink or even nothing.   But they have to deal with the ebay case now and it could take packlink weeks to make a decision. 

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Damaged item return

Hmmm ,"I bought and item and it came damaged" why would you want to keep a damaged item ?.

Have you read up on the MBG ?.

No courier will consider a claim until they see proof of a refund.No proof NO claim ,it's quite obvious.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: