Do you HAVE to print an Ebay postage label?

Hi

First time back selling after a long gap, just sold my first item and got an email from Ebay (have pasted part of the email below) telling me to print a label AND to post using a tracked service.  In the past I would weigh my parcels, write my own address labels, take them to the post office and get a receipt.  I've no issue using a tracked service but is it now a requirement by Ebay to use tracking and print THEIR labels now?

Can I still do it the old way?  If so, how do I let Ebay know I've dispatched the item if I don't print their label? 

They are also going to withold my payment until 23rd May - is that because I haven't sold for over a year?  They also said the buyer's address may be wrong but it isn't, I checked it on Google and it is in the correct order but I've messaged the buyer just in case.

Many thanks to anyone who responds.

"Your buyer has paid and now it’s time to create a postage label.

Post your item with a tracked service, required in the event of a claim or dispute, within 2 days (the dispatch time you promised in your listing). Most transactions are covered by seller protections, but this only applies if you use a tracked service.

Funds will be available after we can confirm delivery
Although the buyer has paid, the funds will be on hold until 1 day after we can confirm delivery. Keep in mind it may take longer to get paid if the buyer reports a problem or we detect an issue with the transaction.

Once eBay initiates a payout, funds will be paid directly to your bank account and available per normal bank processing times. "

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

No,  you do not have to use eBay Postage,  I don't,   and have always then and now , taken what little I sell, to my little local Post Office.   I like to try and keep them in business!

If you are a returning seller your money can be held for 21 days , this is a security measure for your account and for your buyers.  When eBay see a dormant account suddenly back in use for selling, it raises red flags to eBay,  as it could be a sign that hackers are using it.

For the first few sales eBay like to see items delivered,  so it may be worth paying for  tracked services just for the first few,  as when tracking shows delivery money is released sooner. 

Then,  when eBay are happy to see items being delivered,  that the genuine seller has returned,  this hold ceases,  and you can select payouts to be daily or weekly.

@brenata-uk 

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Thanks again tressygirl - you're really helping me out here 😁 - I got up to find I'd sold another top and that payment ISN'T on hold but the first one still is, am wondering if it's because they queried the address and I didn't let them change it (it was correct), I ended up printing both labels as still unsure how to go about NOT buying their labels, it just seemed easier as the tracking logs automatically when I choose Royal Mail 48.  I also thought I could just drop it off in the mail box but I still need proof of posting so printed off the 'P.O.P' page and they have to stamp it at the Post office.

You're a star !!

💜

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent