Community Newcomer
I got scammed (Amazon e-Gift Card), what are my options?

I just spent a lot of money on a listing for 2x £300 Amazon Gift Card, for £495.00. The seller had about 12 positive feedbacks 100% (all were from feedback from purchases they made).

The seller sent me the code via ebay messages, only when I tried to redeem the code I find that it was already redeemed. Tried contacting the seller but they did not respond. So I tried contacting eBay but they said e-gift cards are not covered by ebay guaranteed and that I had to contact Paypal to get my money back.

So I opened a case with Paypal, and just then get an email from eBay saying that listing I won was removed due to suspicious activity with the seller account. I forwarded that email to Paypal to help with my case, stating that the gift card was redeemed. I spoke on the phone with a Paypal representitive and they said I should have good chances winning because that seller had multiple cases opened against them (i'm assuming they pulled this same scam with others users).

But I just checked this morning and Paypal sent me an email saying I didn't win my case because it "is not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection."

What do I do now? I just lost £495.00, this is too much money!!! Please help

Other Answers: 3
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to istevenh888

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. And yes, as you've found out, digitally delivered goods are not covered by Ebay or PayPal.  This is explained in Ebay's Money Back Guarantee, and PayPal's Buyer Protection policies.

That there were purchases only on the account, and that the first item listed for sale was high value, strongly suggests that the account was hacked.  But any PayPal payments made via Ebay checkout should have had a 21-day hold put on them by PayPal - this applies to all new sellers or to those who sell infrequently - so I'm surprised that PayPal were unable to return your money.  It might be worth appealing their decision on these grounds.

If an appeal fails, did you pay through PayPal using a debit or credit card?  If so, see if your card provider can help. I doubt they cover e-gift cards either, but it's worth a try.

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to istevenh888

You've lost your money, surely you must have considered that this could happen?

eBay's Money Back Guarantee doesn't cover e-gift cards and intangible items and Paypal Buyer Protection doesn't cover purchases that aren't allowed to be listed (digitally delivered items).

There would be no proof that you did/didn't use the code, so they're not covered.

If you used a debit or credit card to fund the payment, run this by them. I doubt you will be though, for same reasons as eBay and PayPal. 

Community Member
Answered
in reply to istevenh888

Unfortunately PayPal buyer protection does not cover as per 13.4[a] 8 =

"purchases of items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards)"