Dear eBay When will the antinumpty app be available

Evening

I rarely venture into the community but felt the need to vent a little after two return request cases opened today by two different members, one who took a week to pay to begin with, the other well just plain dumb.

I sell mainly car parts and hop through all the hoops that seem to be needed with as much information as possible but it seems some people still cant read anything more than the photo and 1st line.

It seems the more information thats available isnt a good thing, it takes away the the need for anyone to think for themselves and maybe notice that they are buying the wrong thing entirely, and because they havnt thought things through or check to see if they have made a mistake, so lo and behold its not their fault at all because they assumed I would send them something they actually need, not the thing they have actually bought.

So two returns requests today opened with the wrong reason, insignificant amounts they maybe, just the principal annoys me, so before I ever accept either of the said two requests a bit of messages to and fro`ing needs to carry on 🙂 and a phone call to eBay to expain that maybe the returns process is being abused again.

I am wondering if anyone knows of an anti numpty app thats available.

Night All, Ta for listening, I feel a little better now 🙂

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Smiley Happywe feel your pain, nice to meet you anyway

Petal
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Good old eBay.

I don't know of any such app sorry op.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

It's a simple fact that the seeking out and assimilation of necessary information is not something a large section of the population is good at.

If you sell items that require any amount of info to ensure a buyer orders the correct item, unfortunately you will see more of that section.

I can`t be the first man to think that one is needed, it seems numpty`s come in blocks as today I`ve been blamed for the speed of the Portugese postal service too, I wonder whats going to be my fault tomorrow ??thinking

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

I thank my lucky stars that I sell decorative items, as long as a buyer can manage to sift the size and colour from the ad. it's pretty fool-proof and trouble free.  Yet on one occasion the buyer managed to miss all the photos of the several chips an item had and that they were mentioned IN BOLD in the description.

What shocked me was the nastiness of the messages that followed.  I was accused of various underhanded selling practices and even wanting to harm her children.  Presumably to justify to me and themselves that the fault lay with me and I should accept the return.  Quite unnecessary as all my listings include "Returns Accepted" in them, so they obviously didn't read that bit either.

Even after I pointed out that one polite message was all that was required their tone remained aggressive and confrontational.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

The numpties are not a new phenomenom they've been active for many years.

Just a couple of examples. I sold a large metal object nearly 3 feet long. The buyer was in...... Mexico. I was able to unscrew part of it to reduce the length and the buyer opted for the cheapest shipping option, "surface". (Surface is by land and sea!) It was sent off as directed and a couple of weeks later the buyer complained that the item hadn't arrived. I explained that "surface" meant that it could take 8 weeks to get there. (it did eventually).

I sold a large pair of solid Silver items. Rather than have them in the same parcel, the buyer wanted them in two separate parcels as the reduced size made it cheaper. I did as asked and sent them both "Airmail". They were going to..... Australia. After a while the buyer said he'd got one but asked where was the other? I'd got receipts of course and pointed out he'd opted not to insure them!!! (Oh those were the days?)

Many weeks later I got an email to say the missing item had arrived. It had gone "surface" in spite of the "Airmail" stickers on it.

Today, what would I have faced? A chargeback no doubt, loss of the items and loss of the money?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

I know its what we have to deal with as a seller,  I`ve sold on ebay since it began in the UK and things have changed a great deal, mostly improvements but some not, the buyer still has the controlling hand until you have screamed blue murder at least three times at ebay, then to save them wasting any more time they will overturn nearly all issues just for an easy life, I`m well into my Victor Meldrew years so dont give up until I get what I think is fair.

The person who`s blaming me for the lack of delivery via the Portugese postal service has escalated the case, the one that bought a petrol car part for a diesel car has decided I owe them a full refund and compensation for wasting his mechanics time, both I may add are in the mediteranean so maybe its the heat out there thats the issue, not me 🙂

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Generally most people are fair and understanding, the ones that are not are so far away from it is what gets me, there doesnt seem to be a middle ground in understanding if you know what I mean.
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

I haven't sold on EBay for years, but I remember selling my daughters car, clearly explaining it was for spares only as the engine had blown up.

The first person who came to see it asked if the engine was ok.😤

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Sometimes marg*e people only read the photo 🙂
Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Exactly so, I've sold about 250 items without a return, or negative FB.  If this buyer had admitted they didn't read the description or looked at the photos and it wasn't what they thought I would have been a little peeved.  They could even have fibbed and said that it was not quite the right shade to match the other part of the set.  I would have accepted their request for a return without quibbling..

But no, straight in with a tirade of abuse.  Strangely, when they decided to return they chose "Changed Mind" as the reason.  I still paid their return postage and despite being so outraged they didn't leave any FB.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Common sense is very uncommon, sadly.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent